We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

Hello, we are 4 Australians (two couples) wanting to get a train from Venice to Cinque Terre with an overnight stop roughly half way. Can anyone suggest a lovely place that is easy to get to from the train that would serve our purpose? We will be travelling in April next year. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

The fast trains stop only at larger towns, so you do not have a huge choice. If you travel via Milan and Genoa, Milan would be the obvious place. If you travel via Florence, I would suggest Bologna.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

Thanks sydneynick. I should have said that we are going to Florence already later in our trip. We decided to skip Milan. I'll have a look at Bologna. Perhaps Parma??? Would that be a good idea?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

Parma would be a bit of a detour. You would have to take a fast train from Venice to Bologna, then a local train to Parma, with a total travel time a bit under 3 hours. From Parma to La Spezia, there are direct trains taking about 2 hours.

Parma is a lovely city. We spent 3 nights there a few years ago and greatly enjoyed it: http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/Parma.htm

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

Thanks Nick. I was very interested in your website - great job! I checked out your other places too cuz we are going to some of them ;) I'm going to look into Parma or it's surrounds. I guess it really is the easiest way to get from A to B without having to swap too many trains...

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

To get from Venice to one of the Cinque Terre villages, you usually have to change trains twice, so the journey via Parma is not too bad.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

Yes it seems that a lot of the time you need to accept that changing trains is a happening thing. I guess moving luggage is a bit of a nuisance though or do they do it for you if you book a connecting train? Thanks for your help Nick - much appreciated.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

Nobody moves your luggage for you (except perhaps if you are handicapped). You carry it up a few steep steps from the platform into the train, and you put it into the luggage area. And you may have to carry it up and down stairs at the stations. Don't have more luggage than you can *comfortably* handle by yourselves.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
625 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

Gotcha! Thanks Nick. My husband told me tonight that I should get another suitcase - downgrade the size - but, being female, I shuddered LOL Guess I will really have to consider that!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

We can travel Europe for 9 weeks or more with each having a 22" suitcase weighing around 18 kg, plus a carry-on each with laptop, medications, cameras, booking confirmations, etc. There are plenty of laundromats.

10. Re: Venice to Cinque Terre with a stop overnight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, October 09, 2014