We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice station at Night?

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Venice station at Night?

Hello,

I'm here in Italy for some work. I'll be here for about a month.

Venice is something which i'd like to visit, but I won't have more than a day for it.

So I was thinking of visiting Milan and then taking the train to Venice in the evening. The next morning I can see as much of the city before making the trip back...

Only flaw is somewhere to crash for the night, and my purse is very, very tight, and Venice isn't exactly the cheapest place.

So I was thinking whether it is possible to spend a few hours in the train station, till its light outside and i can leave?

How safe is it likely to be? I won't have much luggage..hardly anything.

Do kindly advise, thanks.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice station at Night?

The train station closes during the night, so it is not possible to stay in the station. Venice is safe enough that it is possible to wander the city without fear for the night, but no place really to crash.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
32,206 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice station at Night?

You can't sleep at Santa Lucia station, see sleepinginairports.net/europe/….UkScAsxBv4g

As far as I know, Mestre station also closes from 01:00 till 05:30 and they won't let you stay inside.

Theoretically you could sleep at Marco Polo airport if you get there before it closes, see http://www.sleepinginairports.net/list.asp?region=1&country=Italy&city=Venice&terminal=Marco+Polo#.UkSbZsxBv4g - however, as this would also cost you extra for the bus there and back, I would have thought it would be better to stay at a cheap hotel in Mestre e.g. hostelbookers.com/hotels/… or hostelbookers.com/hotels/…

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,290 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice station at Night?

Have you tried to look up any Hostels? Much less cost than a hotel. If you don't mind sleeping in a train station, I'm sure you wouldn't mind sharing a room with others, but at least have a bed...

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice station at Night?

Would be be so kind enough as to suggest a decent hostel or a cheap hotel, please? I know there're a lot on the internet, but I'd like to get some advice from someone's who's been to Venice and has stayed in one of these places.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,880 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice station at Night?

I have stayed at Ostello Venezia which is the HI Youth Hostel in Venice. See the link below.

hihostels.com/dba/hostels-Venice---Venezia-0…

It is cheap and clean. It is slightly out of the way since it is on the island of Giudecca which is directly opposite the main island of Venice. The link contains instructions on how to get there. The hostel has nice views of the main island, and I remember looking out of my room's window in the morning and seeing the ships coming and going from Venice.

Edited: 3:54 am, September 27, 2013
6. Re: Venice station at Night?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, September 29, 2014