We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice for 3 nights

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Venice for 3 nights

Hi all,

I posted this previously in the general Italy forum and didn't receive any replies, probably many reasons for that, longwinded, unfocused, vague, etc., sad I know, begging for attention! But it took me so long to write I thought I'd give it one last shot to post it to regional forums. I hope this doesn't break any rules (because I really do love this Forum and want to respect the rules)

I'll try to highlight the appropriate parts of the post with **************

Thanks all!

I've been browsing these forums for the last few months in order to plan my solo 2 week trip to Italy scheduled for October 24th to November 10th 2013.

First off, a huge thank you to everyone on this board, even without asking specific questions, the help, advice and suggestions I've gotten on here have been invaluable.

Some of this is finalized and some is not, so I'll lay it out and then maybe someone could give me some advice or suggestions for changes, day trips, opinions on hotels, restaurants or anything else.

So here it is:

-Fly Montreal to Naples, landing at 11:55am (finalized)

-Pick up rental car (finalized)

-Stay 4 nights at Hotel Margherita in Praiano (finalized)

Day trips to tip of peninsula and Positano, Ravello and Amalfi and walking at least part of Path of the Gods.

(I was in Praiano for 3 nights last July and absolutely loved it, the only place I'm revisiting from that trip.

I completely loved driving on the coast road even though I know many others are not big fans of renting a car and driving there. Hotel also has free parking!

The odd thing is that I'm very afraid on high bridges, mountain passes with steep drops etc. but never felt the slightest bit uncomfortable on the coast road.)

-Stay 3 nights in Polignano a Mare at B&B Santo Stefano (refundable)

Miscellaneous day trips.

-Stay 3 nights in Ascoli Piceno at Antico Borgo Piceno (refundable)

Miscellaneous day trips.

-Stay 3 nights in Ferrara at Hotel Carlton (refundable)

Miscellaneous day trips, maybe Florence?

*************************************-Return rental car in Venice.

-Stay 3 nights in Venice at Locanda la Corte (refundable)

Visit St-Marc's basilica, Doges palace secret itineraries tour, wander around.

Trying to decide whether to visit any of the islands, maybe not because of lack of time?*******************************************

So a few questions:

-Are these towns okay for day trips to the areas or would anyone suggest otherwise?

-Any day trip suggestions for the various areas? Love natural scenery, scenic roads, historical places and monuments as well as picturesque towns, pretty all encompassing I know!

-Restaurant suggestions in towns/cities mentioned? I usually just load up on breakfast and don't eat much lunch, then go nuts at dinner on food and wine (after I've parked the car for the night!).

-Any different hotel suggestions? Most of these hotels/rooms were chosen at least partially based on views, balconies etc.

-Any advice on Venice in general?

-What would be the most efficient and cost effective way of getting to the airport in Venice? Flight leaves on a Sunday at 12:30 pm.

Boy that was incredibly long winded! Hope someone might weigh in with some opinions. Regardless, the help I've got on this forum already has been more than enough!

Thanks

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice for 3 nights

brian, your post is long and the vast majority of it pertains to areas other then Venice so, perhaps, this is the reason you did not get many bites.

As for Venice, three nights are really two days. I would not go to the Islands but you do not have to make this decision right now. You can decide whether or not to dedicate time to the Islands once you are in Venice. No advance reservations required.

The most economical manner for airport-Venice travel is the Alilaguna. It is long and boring but cheap. You can also take a vaporetto to/from Piazzale Roma and a bus for the remains of the way to/from the airport.

There are many threads here re restaurants in Venice. As a general rule, restaurants are a function of individual budget.

I would suggest that you not fixate on views from your hotel/room, since you are not likely to spend much time at your hotel. As long as the price and location work for you, I would leave it at that.

Venice is a "must see" in and of itself. And it looks like you have Piazza San Marco, the Basilica, and the secret itinerary tour already on your agenda, so this is good. Make sure you do an early morning trip to the Rialto Market (not on a Sunday or Monday!).

If you enjoy art, well then stroll over to the Accademia museum; if you like modern art, then the Peggy Guggenheim; if you like Tintorettos, then Scuola Grande di San Rocco in San Polo.

Do stop by Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari (church, admission fee, I think Euro 2.50) in San Polo to view Titian’s Assumption of the Virgin over the altar. Again, if you enjoy art (this is voluntary, not mandatory).

You may want to visit the Ghetto, again, if this interests you or if you are Jewish or know Jewish people :) (not sundown to sundown Friday to Saturday though). You could do a tour of the absolutely striking La Fenice opera house.

I could go on, but you pretty much ran out of your two days in Venice and you did not even go to the Islands. :)

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice for 3 nights

Anna-Roz,

you're the best! Wonderful reply with so much pertinent info, and yes, the original post is crazy, ridiculously long! I suppose I thought everything could be crammed in together regardless of regions/interests/timelines!

Regarding Venice, I will definitely visit the Accademia but probably not the Guggenheim.I so wish I could appreciate modern art! As far as the Jewish Ghetto (historically speaking), I was in Rome last year and did a guided tour of the Ghetto and the Synagogue and had some of the best food of my whole time in Rome, "Carciofi alla giudia", best artichokes I've ever had! Will also try to see other places mentioned as possible.

Thanks!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,414 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice for 3 nights

Would agree with Anna, your time in Venice is not long I would not bother with the Islands ,, but do try to fit in the Friari Church and so close by Scuola Grande di San Rocco

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice for 3 nights

Sophie8,

Will do as far as Friari church as well as Scuola Grande di San Rocco, both sound like great to visit! Will definitely ditch the islands and hopefully wander around until I get hopelessly lost!

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
459 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice for 3 nights

If its your first time in Venice I would recommend a walk to the quay at the tip of dorsaduro at the dogana. From there you can get wonderful vista of the city, good photograph opportunity....

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice for 3 nights

<<I so wish I could appreciate modern art!>

Like I said, all art is voluntary.

I love fried artichokes!!

[Post specific short questions on specific corresponding boards. It is sort of like writing a letter of complaints, make it brief and specific, two paragraphs max, and you will get a response. :)]

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,602 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice for 3 nights

Ferrara is an interesting city but more importantly it is within reach of both Bologna and Ravenna. These are two cities I would say are unmissable, Ravenna for the wonderful early churches with superb mosaics and Bologna generally for fine architecture, a great past and superb food nowadays.

You could do a day trip to Florence but this is arguably the most important Renaissance city in all Italy, chock full of great art and architecture. I have never been to Florence for less than a week and I am certain it cannot be dealt with on a day trip. Skip Ferrara and spend three days in Florence and end up wishing you had more time to spare for this city.

Venice is another city I have never spent less than a whole week in and have always left wishing for more time to see its splendours so, interesting though the northern islands are, I suspect you will need to spend all your time in the central city. I would add to places already mentioned one of my favourites - San Sebastiano at the western end of Dorsoduro close to the San Basilio water bus landing stage. It is not a great church externally, but inside alive with the work of Veronese. Do not miss the recently renovated Sacristy.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
75 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice for 3 nights

Thanks for the great input on some great places to see and visit in Venice, very much appreciated! Maybe I'll save Florence for the next trip (hopefully)!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,099 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice for 3 nights

Good choice of Venice hotel......

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice for 3 nights

If you do go to Florence prebook the Uffizi...as with most things now. There is just so much fabulous art in Florence.

Also pre-book the Secret Tour of the Doges Palace. I am trying to book this but not having much success.