We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coming from rome airport- Train or flight???

Minn
Level Contributor
73 posts
1 review
Save Topic
coming from rome airport- Train or flight???

Flying into Rome (FCO) airport then traveling directly to Venice. What is the best way to get there?

Flight or Train?

flight would be $190. Thinking flight would be nice because it would get me there much quicker.

Was thinking train because i have heard thats part of the traveling experience in Italy. but we will be taking train from venice to florence, and from florence back to Rome.

i would love any and all recommendations!!! thank you

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: coming from rome airport- Train or flight???

If it were me, I'd take the train. What if your flight to Rome lands later than expected and you miss your flight to Venice? If you have a long wait between flights, then are you really getting to Venice any quicker? Probably not, especially since once you land in Venice by plane you'll still have to get into the city. The train will drop you off right in the city - walk out of the station and there's the grand canal right in front of you!

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coming from rome airport- Train or flight???

From central Rome to central Venice, there is very little difference in travel time between train and plane. As you are starting from FCO, the plane will be faster and easier.

You should be able to get a better price for the Rome-Venice flight. I am seeing Alitalia for under €50. See www.skyscanner.net

But you might do better to book the whole journey on one ticket. That way, if the long-haul flight is delayed you will be put on the next available flight to Venice.

Edited: 7:19 pm, September 23, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Katonah, NY
Level Contributor
895 posts
366 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coming from rome airport- Train or flight???

Train, strictly from a security hassle standpoint. No question that a train is 10 times more relaxing, and will take roughly the same time.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
11,397 posts
562 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: coming from rome airport- Train or flight???

I would, and in fact will, take a connecting flight to Venice. Just make sure that you book the entire trip on one ticket (do not purchase these flights separately) and have your luggage go directly to Venice. Italian trains are wonderful but you are not likely to be enjoying your Rome-Venice train ride following a long Transatlantic flight.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coming from rome airport- Train or flight???

The problem is the connecting flight so if you haven't already booked your flight to Rome then I would book a through ticket and fly, however if you have already bought your flight to Rome then I would take the train to Venice as you can never tell how long you will need to connect to the Venice flight and if your incoming flight is late and you miss the connection you'll have to buy a new ticket.

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
6. Re: coming from rome airport- Train or flight???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 26, 2014