We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paintings

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
paintings

Could some one tell me a little about buying some art work in Venice? I would love to take home maybe a small water colour. Can it be bought on the street, are there street artists around? Where would be the best place to go to. Nothing too expensive, but something to remind me of my time in Venice. Can't wait to be there.

Thank you.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paintings

We like this guy - and his work is good, and we've bought several watercolour paintings from him.

…collezioneimpossibile.com/homeen.html

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,856 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paintings

Along by the water in front of the giardini Reali, San Marco, there are nearly always artists painting and selling their works,

Chennai (Madras...
Level Contributor
28 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paintings

We bought 2 paintings in Rome at piazza navona and they were very good. Just to give an indication on prices. We interacted with 2 painters. The first one (a young painter) started with Euro 150 each and was not much flexible with prices .

you can find all type of paintings (Venice city, rome city, scenic, flowers etc) .

We checked with another painter (a bit older gentleman) who we felt was very soft spoken and was willing to negotiate. We settled for Euro 90 for 2 paintings. we selected rome city paintings.

good luck.

adelaide
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paintings

lots of people selling Venice paintings that are probably made in China

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,856 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paintings

In front of San Marco ,there, you see them painting, don't think they are from China,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,414 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paintings

One "local" artist (a resident American from New Orleans that passes 8-10 months a year in Venice for several decades now, and does a lot of his work in watercolor as well, many of Venice) is Tony Green, currently with an exhibition in Campo del Ghetto ( http://www.imagoars.com/spazio_tgreen1.php or http://www.tonygreen.net/g_watercolor.php ).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: paintings

Thank you all so much for your help.

I will come home I'm sure with more than one.

Something that will make me smile when I look at it, and remember Venice.

8. Re: paintings

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 24, 2014