We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

My family would like to take a train from Venice to Florence on Sat., June 22nd. I am still waiting for train schedules and prices to be loaded, but in looking at earlier schedules I think we might have to either take the train from Venezia SL and change at Venezia (10 min change time) or just go straight to Venezia Mestre to catch the train and avoid the hassle of the train change.

We are trying to catch the early train at 7:19 am and arrive in Florence by 9:30 am.

On a Saturday, what would be our best option for getting from our apartment in the Dorsoduro to Venezia SL and from Dorsoduro to Mestre. Also, how much time should we allow for travel and time at the train station if we have prepurchased tickets?

Thank you

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

You can go by vaporetto to Piazzale Roma and take a bus to Mestre, or the Vaporetto to Ferrovia and just take the local train to Mestre leaving Venice at 7.19 and meeting with the train from Mestre at 7.29. The train option is by far the easiest. Mestre is on the land end of the very long causeway, so bus or train is the only way to go.

You can book the Mestre to Firenze train ahead of time for cheap tickets, but not the local train to Mestre. You can buy tickets anytime for regionale trains. Allow for the possibility of a queue in the morning of travel though.

You may be able to get €9 tickets Mestre to Florence when the new timetable is released, so keep looking each day.

This is the distance Santa Lucia to Mestre

http://goo.gl/maps/vSJsX

Newport, Australia
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

Where in Dorsoduro are you staying? The 'where' will determine the best way to get to S. Lucia. Depending on where you're staying it may be easier to walk rather than get the vaporetto as parts of Dorsuduro are close to that end of Venice.

I'd get the 7.19 to Mestre and change - or there's an Italotreno train at 7.55 that gets into Florence at 10am.

www.italotreno.it/EN/Pages/default.aspx

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,895 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

It does depend a lot where in Dorsoduro, as a part is easy walking distance to the Station,

Sammamish...
Level Contributor
183 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

The apartment is just off Campo San Barnaba - a 3 minute walk to the Accademia Bridge.

I was hoping to get to Florence by 9:30 am for a tour, but I am wondering if the Italotreno train at 7:55am might make most sense for us - just getting in 30 minutes later. This schedule option has not yet been loaded past June 8th although other times options appear for June 22. I assume they have not yet added all the optons? If they have then this earlier train is no longer available.

I am a bit worried about dragging six people to the local train station, waiting in line for tickets and then getting the next train. Maybe it sounds worse than it will be - even early in the morning. If we could walk to the train station SL train station and then just change in Mestre that would be better. I assume 10 minutes is enough time for a train change?

Thank you

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,895 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

Very near the Ca'>Rezzonico Vaporetto stop,

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

You are too far from the railway station to walk it, really, so vaporetto to the station will be quickest. I notice from your other posts that you will have been in Venice a few days before your trip to Florence, right? If so, why not buy your regional train tickets the day before (I think this is possible - others will advise, I'm sure) then that's one less thing to worry about in the early morning of your trip.

Also, bear in mind that by the time of your Florence trip, you will be much more familiar with the transport system in Venice. It all sounds pretty daunting until you actually get there - then it becomes really easy. Honestly!

Edited: 3:56 am, April 25, 2013
Niagara Falls, New...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

From the map after crossing the Scalzi Bridge it looks to be about one mile weaving through back streets and crossing several canal bridges. We could take the vaporetto to Ca Rezzonico dock, but it will likely be too crowded with luggage and we enjoying walking areas away from the Grand Canal.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

Mestre is the next stop after Santa Lucia. The change of train will be easy and barring strikes the train won't be late. Buy the train tickets earlier in the week if you are worried about the queues. The tickets are good until you validate them in the little machine on the platform (make sure you do this).

Chances are there will be no queues at that time on a Saturday, but just in case.

I am not sure what you mean about walking to the train station. Just allow enough time to take the vaporetto to Ferrovia. Walking in Venice is fraught with opportunities to get very lost anyway, one of the delights of the place, but not if you have a train to catch.

So take the vaporetto to Ferrovia, walk across the forecourt to the station, look for the platform with your train which will probably NOT be labelled to Mestre, but somewhere beyond, but which will probably also be the only train at the station. All trains stop at Mestre by the way. Buy tickets to Mestre if not already done, validate them in the machine and board the train. Get off at Mestre and board the train to Firenze with your pre-booked tickets.

Coming home, try to get a train direct to Venezia Santa Lucia.

Newport, Australia
Level Contributor
320 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

I'd get the vaporetto from Ca'Rezzonico as the number 2 from Accademia won't be running at that time in the morning - and Ca Rezzonico is the closest anyway. For the 7.55 italotreno train you'll need the 7.15 vaporetto which gets you to the station at 7.41 (or the 7.05 if you want to get there a bit earlier).

You can book the Italotreno train either online (once they load the timetables) or a day or so ahead of time at the station either at their office (which is inside the station) or by using their automatic machines.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best way to get from Dorsoduro area to Train stations

But go for booking on-line to get the cheaper fares.