We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice re eating out

North Walsham...
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
advice re eating out

staying on venice lido in april for 4 nights. would it be better value to eat on the lido or if we have been on the main venicce island to eat there.

want to have a nice time but worried about cost and hidden charges re seating etc.

please advise

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,343 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: advice re eating out

This is a well reviewed Trattoria on the Lido,

tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g3547567…

UK
Level Contributor
1,604 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice re eating out

The extra charges are not exactly hidden, but they are in small print on the last page of the menu, usually.

Coperto - literally a cover charge - a fixed amount per person.

Servizio - a service charge added on as a percentage of the final bill - including the coperto! Keep a close eye on what you have and what the bill says you've had. I have read many comments where people have been charged for items they didn't have. I'm sure there are millions of meals eaten where the bill is correct, but we only get to read about the others.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice re eating out

All there restaurants we ate at in Venice charged the coperto (2-3 euros per person). It was the same in Florence. This is jsut how it is, so make metal adjustments.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,727 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice re eating out

All eating places have their menus on show outside so you can check before you enter to see what sort of cost is likely. There is always a "Pane e Cioperto" surcharge of a few euros ranging from 1 - around 6 euros. Some restaurants nowadays are adding a service charge of 10 or even 15%. These are as lijkely on the Lido as on Venice island.

My general advice is avoid places offering "Menu Turistico" as these are not likely to be the best quality available.

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
335 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice re eating out

Difficult to compare Lido restaurant prices with Venice as great variation in Venice prices. There are quite a number of restaurants along the Gran Viale, all reasonable prices. We've tried many - no bad ones. There is one near the end on the left with a garden in front which we like most (forgotten its name). Da Andri, mentioned above, has top end food with prices to match. If you are up by the Hotel Excelsior, the Tavernetta, nearly opposite the hotel front entrance,is excellent and reasonable price.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,709 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice re eating out

Al Vaporetto” (3726 Calle della Mandola, San Marco) is a reasonably priced restaurant that gets very good reviews. Click on Menu, then the Download PDF Menu, to see dining choices and prices.

http://www.ristorantealvaporetto.com/

Reviews:

http://bit.ly/pukdbD

hampshire
Level Contributor
604 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: advice re eating out

When we stayed on the Lido we ate there quite a lot ( sorry cant remember the names ) and it was very good value As there were fewer Restaurants it was easier to decide where to eat !

As we had Vaporetto passes we quite often used to go back over to San Marco later after we had eaten and some of our favourite memories are the sight of everything lit up when we sailed across Amazing !

New York
Level Contributor
15 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice re eating out

I think you'll be able to have a nice and affordable meal in Venice. I had one of my favorite meals at Da Sandro. The service is a bit slow (it's just the bartender/owner and chef manning the restaurant) but the food and prices are amazing. We had a salad, giant soup, seafood pasta ,and fish appetizer for just €31. There's no cover or service charge, but they do charge for bread which is common.

9. Re: advice re eating out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, March 07, 2014