We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wine Novice

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Wine Novice

I do enjoy a drop of wine, but my knowledge of good Venitian wines is non existant!

I prefer dry white wines, but, well.. holidays are for trying something new.

Are the house wines generally good? Is price a guarentee of quality? Can I order by the glass,or half carafe?

Any recommendations? If all else fails, I'm happy to try recommended beers.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,414 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wine Novice

But very expensive,

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,157 posts
468 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Wine Novice

sophie, absolutely! Not a type of wine to have with supper every day, but as a special treat for a meaningful occasion.

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,499 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Wine Novice

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. I shall be staying in the Cannaregio area, and looks like I will be spoilt for choice.

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,544 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wine Novice

Well, yeah, sure, Amarone may be fine, but it is worthwhile to be aware there is a different point of view, just a matter of personal taste of course. Amarone is a type of Valpollicello, . it may be very good, but generally has a somewhat sharp after-taste - the defining characteristic of the type. I much prefer Ripassa, which is a lower alcohol, smoother tasting Valpolicella.

I don't like Amarone, never drink it, but it is unique and you certainly might want to try it once and decide for yourself.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Wine Novice

The €1 per (small glass) is for the "ombra" and the price is usually standing at the "banco", not sitting with table service. There are a few places (not many any more) where it was still €0.80 last time I passed with friends. It is usually about 10-15ml, I believe, so a small portion intended to "whet one's whistle" while talking to friends (wine in Venice tends to be more of a social occasion than reason to drink copiously, much like coffee is a social occasion rather than a "caffeine fix").

Prosecco usually runs from €2.00-2.50 on up (with some of the special "millesimati" limited edition vintages being more than double).

The house wine in restaurants is usually served by the glass, or labelled 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or "1 litro" (litre), rather than the ml equivalents, but it is the same thing.

Wine by the glass is usually 15ml at a restaurant.

Another popular red house wine around Venice is the sometimes slightly sparkling (just a little) "raboso".

Also try the "prosecco spento" if you find it. It is a still prosecco, without bubbles (intended that way, not just "flat").

Edited: 9:34 pm, February 17, 2013
16. Re: Wine Novice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 19, 2014