We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

are knees truly verboten in the churches?

Northern New Jersey
Level Contributor
395 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
are knees truly verboten in the churches?

I see conflicting information, and I hope somebody can speak from experience (preferably a local). I understand a t-shirt with short sleeves, at least, or a pashmina around bare shoulders is required in the churches. But is it essential to have the knees covered (with capris or a long skirt)? Some accounts suggest that a skirt or golf shorts that hit at knee level, conservative and respectful, would be OK.

I'll plan accordingly and comply, but knee length is easier than shin length, if it works. Thanks.

Portland, OR
Destination Expert
for Positano
Level Contributor
6,472 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: are knees truly verboten in the churches?

One thing I did the last time I was at St. Mark's was to wear a skirt that hit just above my knees but had an elastic waist and tied a long scarf around the strap of my purse. So when I got to St. Mark's, I just pulled out my scarf to cover my arms (wearing a short-sleeved t-shirt) and pulled my skirt down so my knees were covered.

St. Mark's is always crowded, but nothing like the Vatican Museums or Versailles. I have always had plenty of time to stop and look at what I wanted without it being a problem for others - unlike the Vatican Museums!

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
17,343 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: are knees truly verboten in the churches?

i always pack one crushable, non-wrinkling skirt for just this occasion. it doesn't take up much room, it's below my knees and not too fashionable (i'm short so it makes me look dumpy) but...this is not the runway, it's a house of worship.

yes you could wear capris, which i love to wear (no flipflops for me, tho--ugh!) but as the Bedouins know, the skirt is actually much cooler!

Canada
Level Contributor
49 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: are knees truly verboten in the churches?

I have found it's better to be on the safe side - and in saying that I always pack a large silk (or other light fabric) pashmina/shawl/fabric. Being of lightweight material it rolls or folds up small and I can just put it in my smallest purse and take it out if needed. Sometimes I'll wrap a couple of elastic bands around it just to keep it in a tidy little bundle. If anyone questions your attire before entering a church then you are able to take out your piece of fabric and wrap it around your waist for a temporary sarong-type skirt. Make sure the fabric is long enought to go around your waist about 1 to 1 1/2 times and thin enough to tie a knot. Can also double as a head wrap or shawl for the shoulders if needed. It's never failed me yet. Good luck.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: are knees truly verboten in the churches?

How does one go about booking a tour directly with the Basilica? This sounds like the way I would like to see it, especially if I can arrange to be there when they turn on the lights, which I understand is just an hour each morning.

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: are knees truly verboten in the churches?

You can't book a tour directly, but you can make a reservation right before when the tour starts at 11:00 so that you can be at the designated spot for the tour when it begins. Here's the official website: basilicasanmarco.it/WAI/eng/visite/visite.

The tour starts at 11:00 and the lights usually go on around 11:30.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: are knees truly verboten in the churches?

That's very helpful information. Thank you! I've already bookmarked my calendar for April 1 to get my ticket during my May visit to Venice.

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
145 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: are knees truly verboten in the churches?

While at the Basilica, I highly recommended paying the 2 euro to see the Pala D'Oro. It is an awesome creation.

basilicasanmarco.it/WAI/…pala.bsm

I HAVE been turned away by an over-zealous guard at the Basilica because my dress was too short, but I did solve the problem with a scarf. I was also not allowed entrance to the Redentore for the same reason, so if you plan on visiting churches, the suggestion to carry a lightweight shawl or scarf that you can drape around your waist is a good one. The guards like to see that an effort to show respect is made -- though I have seen people dressed in shorts allowed entry on other ocassions. It really does depend on the guard, and what kind of mood they are in.

28. Re: are knees truly verboten in the churches?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, February 20, 2014