We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Agencies

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Agencies

Consider me a confused American. I am looking to book a car for my wife & I likely from Mestre/Venice on a Friday afternoon in April and turn it in before noon on a Saturday in Florence.

When researching prices from the various agencies I see prices all over the place on the same vehicles. I want to pay for the full insurance package regardless of the agency simply for peace of mind.

I see Auto Europe with some sky high prices and the American brands in the middle and the German outfit Sixt with prices that are a fraction of Auto Europe.

What am I missing? Is the insurance package for Sixt terrible or do they drop a bunch of hidden fees on you when you pick up the vehicle?

And do the different agencies have different makes they use in Italy than other countries? I'd prefer to drive an Italian make while tolling across Northern Italy if possible.

Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,566 reviews
from $56.30*
Special Offer
Dolomite Mountains Small-Group Day...
772 reviews
from $174.00*
$194.00
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,543 reviews
from $75.10*
$91.40
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Agencies

Hi Sly!

Here is a question from another confused American.. why not take the train from Venice/Mestre to Florence and be done with it?

If you have to have the car, I would encourage you to contact AutoEurope via telephone and price the car with an agent. Websites are often confusing things. AutoEurope is an American broker located in Maine. They will arrange for you to pick up a car at a local agency, e.g., Europcar, Avis, Herz.

Insurance in Italy is mandatory.

Edited: 11:08 pm, January 31, 2013
Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Agencies

I need a car because I am planning to visit my great grandfather's hometown along the Po River near Parma. And taking trains simply isn't a great option for this leg. When we drop the car in Florence, we'll be taking a train down to Rome.

Anyone have experience with the different agencies?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,628 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Agencies

Favourable used car agencies on TA www.auto-europe.com and www.auto-europe.co.uk

www.route planner www,viamichelin.com

You will require an International Driving Permit for Italy,

On the Italy forum Top Questions read "Driving in ITaly", to inform on traffic restrictions and ZTL areas

www.discovertuscany.com

Accommodation www.venere.com

Trains www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
10,640 posts
517 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Agencies

Ah, got you! Good reason to hire a car!

Kemwel is the sister company of AutoEurope. Sometimes one has better offers then another.

You can get your International Driving Permit at your local AAA club for about $25.

United States
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Agencies

I usually book through the UK site of Auto Europe as they often have better prices. If there is a problem or I have a question after booking, I can call the US number. I've just booked 3 cars for an upcoming trip and Venice had the highest prices for the same class of car. There are many complaints about SIXT, Advantage, and Locauto so I avoid those agents.

TAB

Montgomery, Texas
Level Contributor
40 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Agencies

The general sentiment is to avoid Sixt but is so enticing with the prices nearly half of the more familiar American brands.

7. Re: Car Rental Agencies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 03, 2014