We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to Florence

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
train to Florence

I know that this has been asked many times. How do I book my train trips from Venice to Florence; Florence to Rome and Rome to Pompeii online, in advance to get the best fares? Once I book my tickets, how will it work when I go to use them? thanks for your help.

Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,548 Reviews
from $75.00*
Dolomite Mountains and Cortina 1-Day...
776 Reviews
from $193.80*
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,575 Reviews
from $56.30*
Special Offer
Venice Skip-the-Line: Doges Palace...
699 Reviews
from $142.50*
Watertown, MA
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: train to Florence

I would first call your credit company to inform them that you plan on making an on-line international transaction.

Use the Trenitalia site to enter in to and from using the Italian spelling of the cities

Venezia (Venice) Firenze (Florence) Roma (Rome)

To get from Rome to Pompeii you have to travel to Napoli (Naples) then transfer to a local train known as the Circumvesuviana to get to Pompeii.

You do not buy the Naples to Pompeii ticket in advance.

I recommend you go to the Trenitalia site and play around with it. You can buy tickets on-line very easily. Regarding using the tickets that has been answered in your other post.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train to Florence

thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it. Nancy

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
30,983 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: train to Florence

The stations you are likely to require are Venezia S. Lucia, Firenze S. M. Novella, Roma Termini and Napoli Centrale.

Unless you use Trenitalia's private competitor http://www.italotreno.it/ which uses the less central Rome stations of Roma Tiburtina and Roma Ostiense.

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: train to Florence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, January 28, 2014