We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Calcina

Chicago
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
La Calcina

This is in Doso Duro section of Venice, so supposedly more quiet and less touristy. Has anyone stayed here? The reviews all seem to be very good, except for a check-requirement for the reservation (which I did not have to do- they took my CC info). We're travelling there on our honeymoon in March/April. Any ideas on restaurants or weather or anything of the like? Thanks.

Williamsburg...
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Calcina

Dear gkbass,

Yes, the Dorsoduro section of Venice is less touristy than other areas of Venice. The Calcina is on the Giudecca canal. There is a great pizzaria within 5 minutes from the Calcina, and also overlooking the canal. I have not stayed at the Calcina, but did go in and got a brochure. The lobby was very nice. I've also talked to people who stayed there, and they loved it. If possible, get a room at the top overlooking the canal!

The area where you're staying is called the Zattere. There are cafes on the water. Also, you can walk to the Ponte de Dogana for a great view of San Marco. Also of interest in Dorsoduro are the Peggy Guggenheim museum and the Accademia museum and the church of Santa Maria della Salute, as well as other churches containing paintings by the famous Venitian painters.. For one of the best views in Venice, walk over the Accademia bridge!

Caio!

England
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: La Calcina

I have booked to stay at La Calcina for Easter. Was recommended to me by friends. I booked last July and couldn't get a room with a view but looking at website it all looks lovely. Have a look on their website www.lacalcina.com

Chicago
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Calcina

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm looking forward to seeing everything I possibly can! We've booked our room, but alas, no canal view is available. That's alright, though. Hopefully we'll be out and about enough to where we'll be so tired that we'll just sleep in the room. Thanks again, and I'm open to even more suggestions!