We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Venice to Florence then to Rome

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
From Venice to Florence then to Rome

It will be my first time travelling to italy. Will be flying with easyjet from Paris CDG to Venice. Thinking to rent a car and drive from Venice to Florence. Isit very far? And isit expensive to rent a car for a few days?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
86,090 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Venice to Florence then to Rome

It is not a good idea to rent a car for these journeys. The whole of the centre of Florence is prohibited for visitors' cars, and there have been many posts from people who have accidentally driven into this area, or in a bus lane, and have been hit with multiple €100 fines months later.

The drive from Venice to Florence would take about 4 hours (plus stops) and would cost €38.40 in tolls and about €31.50 in fuel, plus the car rental cost. While you are in Florence, the car would have to sit in expensive parking as a car is useless in Florence.

The fast trains from Venice to Florence take just over 2 hours. The full cost is €45 but if you book when tickets become available (usually 120 days before travel), you may be able to buy for €19.

Similar reasoning applies to the Florence-Rome journey.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
8,420 posts
479 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Venice to Florence then to Rome

Take the train. It is a superior mode of transportation between cities. Just sit back, relax, and watch the scenery. Sure beats driving on a non-scenic motorway.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: From Venice to Florence then to Rome

I need to fly back to Paris at the end of the trip to catch my plane back to Singapore.

Shld i starts from Rome to Florence then to Venice n from venice to Paris or the other way round Venice to Florence to Rome and from Rome back to Paris? Which is more on the way ?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Venice to Florence then to Rome

I believe you would have much more selection on flights Rome to Paris and more competitive fares. Can't think of any other benefit of doing it this way or the other. You can get a Venice/Paris train but it takes around 8 hours ( you have to really like train travel ) but it is a beautiful trip through the base of the alps.

5. Re: From Venice to Florence then to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, January 24, 2014