We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best wat to get to London from Gorizia

Arizona
Level Contributor
489 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
best wat to get to London from Gorizia

I'm assuming we'll have to go through Venice. Would it make sense to fly or are there sleeper cars for overnight train travel? I've not been able to find info on this and would appreciate advice. We're travelling in mid-March. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Paris Rail Day Trip from London
484 Reviews
from $281.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
477 Reviews
from $353.30*
Open Tour Paris Hop-On-Hop-Off
2,322 Reviews
from $42.80*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,816 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

easyJet and a number of other airlines have flights from Venice to London Gatwick, with prices starting around €50. See www.skyscanner.net to identify the possibilities, then book direct with the airline of your choice.

Avoid RyanAir, as it uses Treviso airport at the Venice end and London Stanstead airport. Neither of these is convenient.

Train would take much longer and cost more.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,936 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

The Marco P.olo airport website gives details of the frequent flights from Venice to one or other London airport - Heathrow being the closest to London.

If you really pefer a sleeper train then there is the Orient Express if you have money to burn and plenty of time

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

Ryanair flies direct from Trieste to London Stansted, though not every day. The airport is a 30 minute bus ride from Gorizia aeroporto.fvg.it/en/…Gorizia.htm - it'll take you around 2.5 hours by trains and bus to get to a Venice airport.

There is also no particular need to avoid Ryanair if flying from Venice, as the train journey from Gorizia to Treviso is at least 20 minutes shorter than the ride to Venezia Mestre, compensating for extra time traveling into London from Stansted..

The bus to the Treviso airport from Treviso station does take a couple of minutes longer than the bus from Mestre, but a taxi ride in Treviso would be shorter and cheaper than from Mestre to Marco Polo.

However, if flying Ryanair, watch baggage allowances and charges very carefully indeed.

Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Treviso
Treviso
Province of Treviso, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Arizona
Level Contributor
489 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

Thank you all for the replies! So, short of the ridiculously expensive Orient Express, there's not a sleeper-car train option? I suppose I'm thinking that by the time we take a train or bus and then taxi to the airport, the total trip time won't be a whole lot shorter and we could "save" time by doing an overnight trip on a train? When we traveled in Argentina we took their relatively comfortable sleeper-buses rather than flying and it worked well.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

By overnight train, take a train from Gorizia to Venezia Mestre (as for Venice airport) then a train to Paris http://www.trenitalia.com/homepage_en.html - choose SMART in C6 couchettes from the Select Your Fare options for the cheapest tickets.

Cross central Paris between the Gare de Lyon and the Gare du Nord, and take a train to London http://www.eurostar.com/

Total journey time around twenty hours.

It is also possible to go via Udine, Munich and Paris in the same time, with a better quality night train, a rather tight connection in Munich and a short walk between stations in Paris. See reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en? for the Udine-Munich and Munich-Paris legs, booking them separately..

Mentioned in this post
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Lyon
Lyon
Rhone, France
Gare du Nord
Gare du Nord
2,108 Reviews
Paris, France
London
London
England, UK
Udine
Udine
Province of Udine, Italy
Munich
Munich
Upper Bavaria, Germany
Arizona
Level Contributor
489 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

Thanks Perilizia... I checked the vary helpful www.bahn.de for the route and it seems like the train ride would be anything but relaxing with all those transfers! Guess it'll have to be a flight...

I just checked www.skyscanner.net (thanks Sydneynick!) and it looks like airfare is fairly inexpensive too. Is it best to buy now for a late March flight or will fares likely go down if I wait a week or two? Thanks VERY much for the advice!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
31,435 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

By and large, air fares for flights on low-cost airlines only go up. Buy as soon as you can.

Arizona
Level Contributor
489 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

Thank you! While yesterday, I could have sworn I found similar fares between Trieste & London and Venice & London, today the fares I find from Trieste are several hundred dollars more! Weird. I did find a $68 flight from VCE to London Gatwick. My question is...

How far in advance of the flight is it necessary to arrive at the airport? Flight is at 11:30am. If I arrive at Mestre at 10am, does that give enough time for a cab to the airport?

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Trieste
Trieste
Province of Trieste, Italy
London
London
England, UK
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Mestre
Mestre
City of Venice, Italy
Arizona
Level Contributor
489 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

So bizarre. I just checked my ipad search from yesterday and sure enough, the $30 fare from Trieste to London showed up. For some reason, my laptop search was not showing Ryan Air. So...

Since the bus trip to the Trieste airport is shorter than the train/taxi to the Venice Airport, seems like this is the way to go. Any reason not to consider it? Yes, the Trieste flight is into Stantsted but the shorter journey from Gorizia to Trieste makes up for the relative inconvenience of Stansted vs Gatwick, no?

Mentioned in this post
Trieste
Trieste
London
London
England, UK
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Arizona
Level Contributor
489 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best wat to get to London from Gorizia

Figured out what was happening... I had accidentally selected "round trip" on my laptop when doing the Trieste search!

Mentioned in this post
Trieste
Trieste