We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-time visit to Venice early March

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ENGLAND
Level Contributor
225 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
First-time visit to Venice early March

I've now read three Venice guide books plus all the postings on Tripadvisor for the past month, so have just two questions to ask.

I'd like to treat myself to an Italian handbag. My question: can I expect to pay less than in England, has anyone purchased one for themselves if so, for what sort of price.

I also like to have a beer when on holiday; what is the price of a beer and an average price of a bottle of wine in a restaurant?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,506 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

Not a handbag user myself and my wife usually buys that sort of thing in Milan.

The price of wine or beer can vary considerably depending on how much of a tourist area you happen to be in and also on the individual establishment.. I find the further away you are from San marco or the immediate surroundings of the Rialto, the cheaper wine and beer tend to be. I probably drink most beer at Ai Do Draghi in Calle del Chiesa which leads north out of Campo Santa Margherita in Dorsoduro. They have tables in the nearby corner of the Campo and beer is no dearer there.

Another good place I find for reasonably priced beers and spritz is Da Gino in calle Nuovo Sant'Agnese which is the street running from the Accademia towards the Peggy Guggenheim Museum of Modern Art. It is popular with art students and frequently very busy.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
606 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

There are good places to buy handbags and leather in Venice, but you need to shop with care and look for somewhere that is an Italian business and which sells Italian leather. There is a good place in Campo San Stefano and another shop in Campiello San Toma, but both sell hand-made bags and are therefore quite expensive. Otherwise, there are two nice shops on the Rialto bridge (not in the tourist tat-market at the bottom), both with rather more mass-produced, but still good-quality bags.

For beer, expect to pay between 6 and 8 euros for half a litre of beer, depending on location. In more tourist-oriented spots (Rialto, Campo San Stefano, etc) expect to pay more. Also you will pay more for sitting outside (which is possible on some days in early March) and for table service. Wine is cheaper, and you'll probably see most Venetians drinking spritz, especially in the early eveing

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,858 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

There are lots of shops selling handbags which are clearly not Italian made, but you will be able to identify these with ease. I purchased a really neat bag for work (black with bright green trim), the kind I could stick a few documents into, for 50 Euro. It is made in the Far East but I knew it from the start and was o.k. with it. Some time ago, I priced a Gucci bag and can tell you that a Gucci bag is less expensive to buy in Beverly Hills then in Venice, not that I have any. There is a great handbag shop in San Polo, which may be the one absalomLucca refers to. Good luck with that!

I cannot help you with beer, but a drink like a glass of Prosecco or a Spritz Aperol would be around 6-8 Euro, depending on a type of an establishment.

I am really impressed that you only have two questions! Must have been real good guidebooks! ;)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

Can anyone tell me if I should buy a handbag in venice or florence?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

can you tell me some of the places you have listed to eat and do in Venice?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,141 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

You would do better to buy a handbag in Florence,

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

If you've read all the guidebooks and the forum posts you have no need for me to tell you to steer clear of the street sellers of fake handbags. But I'll do it anyway for anybody else who may be reading this thread.

Not only are the handbags fake, but the BUYER as well as the seller can be fined heavily by the police.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
370 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

Thank you-I appreciate your advice about the fake handbags.

9. Re: First-time visit to Venice early March

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, January 15, 2014