We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolomite day tour?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dolomite day tour?

We are traveling by train from Innsbruck, Austria to Venice, Italy and would love to spend the day seeing the Dolomite's. Any suggestions for day tour from train station? Or public transportation into the heart of the area - then tour while we are there? Any area in particular that fits our needs? We are not hikers, but love nature and seeing the beauty. Would be open to staying one night too. Thanks so much for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Seattle
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolomite day tour?

Out of all of our Italian travels the Dolomites is the most beautiful area we have ever been to. If possible I would HIGHLY recommend spending a night or 2. We stayed in Castlerotto. In fact we left Venice a day early to spend extra time there and did not regret it 1 bit. Im not sure how long you were staying in Venice but we were done with it after 2 days. Once you get to the main Dolomite section the public transportation is a breeze- if I remember right it was even free (may just have been the Italian way though).

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolomite day tour?

Thanks for your reply. Did you use public transportation?

We are traveling by train south from Innsbruck in May.

How did you get to Castelrotto? Any recommendations of what to do for one day trip from Castelrotto if we stay there and want to see the beauty of the Dolomites?

Mentioned in this post
Innsbruck
Innsbruck
Tirol, Austria
Castelrotto
Castelrotto
Province of South Tyrol, Italy
Seattle
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolomite day tour?

We had a car. But once we got to our hotel we parked it and used public transportation.

We took the cable cars to the Alpe di Siusi 2 days in a row. Its such a huge beautiful area. There are many trails and amazing restaurants. We also rented Mt bikes 1 day and did the same thing. All the little towns in that area are also connected by trails so you can walk in between them if you dont want to use public trans. There are many little shops to go in and out of if your into that sort of thing. We stayed at Hotel Zum Wolf. It had amazing breakfasts and was very nice! Its the one place we wish would have stayed longer even though we had extended it to 3 nights as it was.

Mentioned in this post
Alpe di Siusi
Alpe di Siusi
Castelrotto, Italy
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolomite day tour?

Sounds wonderful, thank you. I am traveling with my elder mother, so no hiking.

Last set of questions: Is the cable car you spoke of right from Castelrotto? Right to Alpe di Siusi? Staying in Bolzano or Castelrotto and using public transportation to SEE the beauty of the Dolomites is the plan. But we really only have one day and night free. I appreciate your tips! (We are from Eugene.)

Mentioned in this post
Castelrotto
Castelrotto
Alpe di Siusi
Alpe di Siusi
Castelrotto, Italy
Bolzano
Bolzano
Seattle
Level Contributor
4 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolomite day tour?

Yes! The bus can drop you off right in front of the cable cars to go to the Alpe di Siusi. And right where you get off is a big lodge/restaurant area that has a nice flat walking surface. If you decide to stay at the place we did you catch the bus right there as well and the place has elevators.

Mentioned in this post
Alpe di Siusi
Alpe di Siusi
Castelrotto, Italy
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolomite day tour?

Thank you so much. Glad you had such a wonderful trip. I appreciate your speedy and detailed replies. Have a nice PNW winter!

bedford
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolomite day tour?

hi there...I am also deciding on going but I just posted in the specif forum for the dolomites and someone stated they thought it would be difficult to get there and in october it kind of shuts down.

What time of year did you attend

aj
Seattle
Level Contributor
16 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolomite day tour?

The end of September.

California
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolomite day tour?

The Cascades are beautiful, but the Dolomites are amazing. We spent a week in the Dolomites at the end of last September and everything was open. The weather was warm during the day. We rented a car and stayed in Alta Badia which put us in the center of things. Try the Auto Europe rental car in Bolzano. With a car you can see a good deal in a day.

Mentioned in this post
Alta Badia
Alta Badia
Europe
Europe
World
Bolzano
Bolzano
bedford
Level Contributor
1,457 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolomite day tour?

my travel partner is concerned about driving..on the wrong side of the mountain etc....

not sure she will agree wtih the rental car