We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Venice or Mestre Hotel

Katy, Texas
Level Contributor
56 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Venice or Mestre Hotel

Shirley and I and I are searching for a hotel to stay while visiting 3 days in Venice. I would like to stay in Venice (I think) with a nice court yard to sit and eat, maybe a canal view. The typical Italian hotel. No shared bathroom. But an affordable price.

Most hotel prices are extremly high in Venice.

Any suggestions?

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

Locanda La Corte possibly ? Have a look at venere.com and see what falls into your budget.

I am not going to get onto the Venice vs Mestre debate ( its a heated topic between certain posters) however it is my opinion tht it is better to stay in Venice.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
644 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

I also will avoid the Venice/Mestre debate, but I agree with Rosa.

I'd recommend the similar-sounding Ca' delle Corte, about five minutes on foot from Piazzale Roma but quite secluded.

www.cadellacorte.com/it/

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
21,704 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

If you find that Venice hotels don’t quite fit your travel budget, I would recommend staying at a hotel in Mestre, near the Mestre railway station, where prices tend to be considerably lower. This is where I stay whenever I visit Venice.

The downside is having to commute, but there are frequent trains and buses from Mestre to Venice that take around fifteen minutes to get to Piazzale Roma, the gateway to Venice—which is a little over two miles from Mestre. The upside, of course, is that you get a much better hotel room for your money.

Plus, you won’t have to carry heavy luggage aboard crowded vaporetti, across stepped bridges, and up narrow staircases to get to your hotel room—a big advantage for some seniors and those with disabilities, especially during periods of heavy flooding.

Below are four excellent, inexpensive four-star hotels near or opposite the train station in Mestre that come with a bountiful free buffet breakfast. Have a look at the TripAdvisor reviews by people who recently stayed at these hotels.

The Best Western Hotel Bologna, directly in front of the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/ulxOH4

The Hotel Plaza is situated in front of the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/idV9I8

The Hotel Tritone, near the Mestre railway station.

http://bit.ly/tS3ooL

Hotel Ambasciatori: A bus stops right across the street from the Ambasciatori Hotel every eight minutes that will take you to Piazzale Roma in fifteen minutes.

http://bit.ly/wpR3vB

Mestre vis-à-vis Venice: the Ponte della Libertà is a road bridge 2.39 miles long connecting Venice to Mestre.

http://bit.ly/UEdjSd

If you stay in Mestre you can do everything that tourists whose hotels are in Venice do except sleep there, and for budget-minted travelers who would like to cut their expenses by over 60%, that is reason enough to book a room in Mestre while visiting Venice. Thousands do it every year, and if the reviews are any indication, most seem genuinely pleased with their choice, in part because they had a chance to experience daily life in Mestre, where 90% of the people you meet are actually Italian. In Venice, on the other hand, 90% percent of the people you rub shoulders with are very likely tourists from other countries.

Mestre’s Piazza Ferretto, not far from the train station, has a number of moderately priced restaurants and pizzerias.

magicoveneto.it/Venezia/Mestre/MestreP01.htm

Would also like to call your attention to a well-known supermarket in Mestre: PAM, at 209 Corso del Popolo, two doors away from the Hotel Ambasciatori. PAM has a wonderful deli and a good selection of wines and spirits at bargain prices. (It's also a great place to buy bottled water.) There is another PAM near Piazza Ferretto in the Le Barche Shopping Center.

At the Marco Polo airport there is an ATVO bus (€6) that will take you to the Mestre train station in 17 minutes. (Venice Marco Polo Airport-Mestre—Fly Bus-Express Service (€11 round-trip).

http://bit.ly/ruPAxF

Consider buying a Tourist Travel Card ACTV+ Airport transfer bus return. This particular ACTV travel card entitles you to transport from and to Venice Marco Polo Airport, to unlimited use of the waterbuses (vaporetti) serving Venice and the islands of the lagoon, and to unlimited use of ACTV Mestre bus service to and from Venice and in Mestre itself—and buses on Lido.

ACTV Tourist Travel Cards, which can be purchased either on line, at the airport, in Mestre, or in Venice, are a tremendous bargain that will pay for themselves many times over during your visit to Venice. Although the on line discount is no longer available, the link below will provide information about cost and card selection, regardless of where you plan to make your purchase.

http://www.veniceconnected.com/

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,341 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

I to think you best stay in Venice , there are some really reasonable B&B's which are very good value,

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,300 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

Staying in the historic centre of Venice is more expensive, but worth every penny, IMO.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

If at all possible with your budget definitely stay in Venice as the atmosphere at night is quite unique.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

Also staying there you get to see another Venice when all the day trippers have gone.

White Plains, New...
Level Contributor
426 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

Stay in Venice. There are all types of properties range from less the 100 euros a night on up. You won't get a Canal view for that price but at least you will be in Venice.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

And by "day trippers" Chrella is including those who stay in Mestre. There are reasonably priced accommodations in Venice. You just have to look a little more closely. We'll be staying at Casa Rezzonico in May. We've stayed at Pensione Guerrato twice and loved it.

And it's worth asking why lodging is cheaper in Mestre.

Edited: 11:59 am, December 31, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,216 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Venice or Mestre Hotel

And FWIW, you'll probably get over 90% of travelers who've been to Venice suggesting that you stay in Venice. You'll get a couple who say that they prefer Mestre.