We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

California
Level Contributor
92 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

I'm planning to ride the bus from the airport to our hotel in Venice, but my travel agent has advised me strongly against it. She told me that the buses don't follow the schedule, and that I'm gonna be trying to catch a bus along with hundreds of other tourists. She also told me that the drivers don't speak English, and that it's gonna be frustrating for us to have to wait for a bus, and fight our way through the crowds trying to find our own way to our hotel. She wants to book for me and my group a private driver to pick us up at the airport and drive us to our hotel.

I understand her concern, but how difficult or frustrating is it to catch the ATVO from the airport to our hotel? I think it would be much cheaper doing it this way than hiring a private driver.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
SUP in Venice
Historic Walking Areas, Sightseeing Tours, Water Sports, Cultural Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Vinicio Tassani Photographer
Multi-day Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Photography Tours
Turive
Sightseeing Tours
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
92,884 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

Your travel agent wants to collect the commission from selling you an over-priced driver service. In any case, if your hotel is actually in Venice, no driver can take you to your hotel. And if your hotel is not actually in Venice, change the hotel booking.

The bus services from Marco Polo airport to Piazzale Roma are reliable and generally not over-crowded. The person who sells you a ticket will have English, so it does not matter whether the driver speaks English: you get on at one end of the route and off at the other.

Depending on where your hotel is located, an Alilaguna ferry might be a better choice than the bus. Look on the hotel's web site for directions on how to reach the hotel.

And find another travel agent who knows what s/he is talking about.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Marco Polo Airport
Marco Polo Airport
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

We took the bus from Venice to the airport last May and had no problem at all. Everyone we encountered spoke wonderful english and were very helpful. The bus will take you to the train station where you van visit the tourist center for information on tickets, water taxis, etc. Sounds like your agent just wants the extra commission for booking you a private driver.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
California
Level Contributor
92 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

That's what I'm thinking; she wants the commission. I want to stay at a hotel very close to Piazzale Roma, and she wants to book me in an apartment since there's 5 in our group. She suggested something near Plaza San Marco (or something like that), but I told her that I prefer something near Piazzale Roma because it's much more convenient when we have to go to the cruise terminal for our cruise.

I'm sticking to my guns and find my own way to our hotel. I'm looking at Best Western Hotel Olimpia because of its proximity to Piazzale Roma.

Edited: 8:15 pm, December 28, 2012
Mentioned in this post
HOTEL OLIMPIA Venice
HOTEL OLIMPIA Venice
2,335 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,672 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

Take the bus. Lots of people do and I have not seen any comments on these forums about overcrowding or not keeping to schedule. Just arrange this bit for yourself if need be.

Understand about the travel passes too, which you can purchase at the Hellovenezia desk at the airport. You can get a slight discount on the airport bus and the pass will cover your vaporetto (water bus) transport in Venice which you will want if you are staying near P Roma. Piazza San Marco is the centre of Venice, very busy and touristy but also the hub of beautiful things you will want to see, such as the San Marco basilica and the Doge's Palace.

Mentioned in this post
Doge's Palace
Doge's Palace
21,269 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
El Dorado Hills...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

We took the bus last month with no difficulty at all. We arrived at Marco Polo at about 10:30 in the morning and i don't think that we waited more than a few minutes for the bus. We stayed at the Hotel Principe, very close to the train station. We just walked right across the bridge from the Pizalle Roma. We paid a porter to help us get our bags over the bridge. I loved the hotel location, right on the Grand Canal, and we could walk or take the vaperetto to any place we wanted to go. Getting to the hotel was easier than we expected, but that was beause of the location of the hotel. We loved our trip and hope that you have as good a time as we did.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Principe
Hotel Principe
2,262 Reviews
Venice, Italy
New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

We did not find it difficult to catch a bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma but we did find it frustrating because we watched the bus pulling away just as we exited the airport doors and had to wait 20 minutes for the next one!! LOL

You can buy a combined bus and vaporetto ticket from the machine inside the terminal. This page has excellent info on the process:

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

Note that there are two buses that travel from the airport to Piazzale Roma. The above website gives all the information at this link:

europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice…

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,678 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

Your travel agent is NOT working for you; they're working for themselves and their own bank account. Take the bus to Piazzale Roma; it's inexpensive and very easy. We've done it 3 times without any problems and will do it again in April. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,520 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

Change your travel agent to an honest one who knows what they are doing and sells what the customer wants not how much money they can earn on the top. Seriosuly there are better ones out there..how much other rubbish are they telling you? Even better book direct you will be amazed at how much money you save.....

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,448 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

You do not say how big your group is, while the Bus is a perfectly good way to arrive, if there are a number of you, a Water Taxi is a marvelous way to enter Venice across the lagoon, and as near to where you are staying

they are expensive in the region of €110 but this is for up to six persons,.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
California
Level Contributor
92 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My Travel Agent Has Advised Me Against It

There's going to be five in my group; 3 adults, one 17 year-old and one 12 year-old.

My travel agent was also looking for an apartment for us since there's five of us. It sounds very appealing, but I would love to be close to Piazzale Roma.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy