We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Help -7-9 Dec in Vence

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Topic
Need Help -7-9 Dec in Vence

Hello. I will be reaching Venice with my wife from Rome on 7 Dec and this is a short stay till 9 Dec. This is my first ever visit. Can anyone suggest me which places to visit in this very short period?

Thanks

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Help -7-9 Dec in Vence

Take a vaporatto trip along the grand canal and enjoy the city from the water. The Doges Palace and their secret itinerary tour and Basilica San Marco are also good. Visit Rialto market Saturday morning and off course the Rialto bridge.

I also enjoyed visiting Teatro La Fenice, their shop offers good souvenirs. The Guggenheim and the Academia are good museums in case museums interest you. Then just walk around the alleys and you will discover interesting things and places. Enjoy Venice.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Help -7-9 Dec in Vence

A lot depends what interests you,. but even for a short while do buy a guide book, and see what appeals DK Venice Top Ten is good,

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
601 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Help -7-9 Dec in Vence

Brush up on you history of the Venetian Republic then the Doges' Palace will make more sense. Move out a little and explore Giovanni e Paolo which is an encapsulation of Venetian art and history (plus a quirky bar on the immediate left over the facing bridge). Try the Ghetto and Cannaregio where you will find peace and quiet and the lovely Madonna del Orto. Slip into a Venetian bar, the smaller and more crowded the better to get a real feel for the place and its vibrancy. How I envy you seeing Venice for the first time.

Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Help -7-9 Dec in Vence

Thank you all so much

Brisbane
Level Contributor
109 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Help -7-9 Dec in Vence

If you get tired of the endless crowds, turn left as you face the water from Piazza San Marco and visit the "suburb" of Castello - only a 10 minute walk. There's a great street of local shops (via Garibaldi), a spectacular green park to walk through, coffee shops, bars & restaurants, plus of course the Arsenale. Also in that area the very interesting Naval Museum on the canal front, with the naval history of Venice richly illustrated through gondolas, weapons, Naval uniforms, cannons etc. from the early days. Fascinating. Also from here you can take a quick trip on the vaporetto to The Lido for a wander around, most enjoyable.

6. Re: Need Help -7-9 Dec in Vence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, December 17, 2013