We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Asia
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

Hi, I would like to ask for your opinions as to how long we should allocate our Italy visit to Venice. I know it is difficult to say # of days in absolute terms, and therefore I'm just trying to get a relative sense. Much appreciated if you would so kindly provide some suggestions.

Trip is 3/24-4/2/13 for about 10 days. Days and duration are fixed.

Cities to visit: Florence, Venice, and Rome.

Travelers: 2 adults, one of whom is visiting Italy for the first time. We are not into museums. Just like to see around and appreciate the culture/people.

This is what I am currently thinking: We fly into Rome late 3/23/2013 and stay overnight. 3/24 morning take a high speed train to Florence arriving noon'ish. We will then use Florence as a base to do one-day tours to Cinque Terre, Pisa, and Tuscany area. So we will be staying in Florence for a total of around 4.5 days. Leave Florence for Venice 3/29 morning and leave Venice for Rome 3/31 morning, which would leave about 1.5 days in Venice total for sightseeing. We then fly out of Rome late 4/2 evening, which would mean almost 2.5 days allocated to Rome.

How does this sound?

p.s. I will also leave a similar post to Florece and Rome forums.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,271 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

I really do think your are trying to cram to much in to see these places, too much travelling,

Cant you fly open jaw in one City and out another, Venice neweds at least 3 days, Rome more,

Dorset
Level Contributor
55 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

I agree with sophie. Open jaw most sensible.

However, if you do fly out of Rome, allow lots of time at the airport, at least three hours. We flew from there this April, and security is CHAOTIC, with lines taking hours to get through, and travellers missing flights as a result.

Asia
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

Thank you for the tips. Unfortunately the airline we are flying only has flights in and out of Rome, and only on certain days of the week. Will be sure to allocate 3hrs for the airport logistics. Thanks a lot.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

I am thinking day trips from Florence to Cinque Terre is a bit far fetched to be honest., If it was me I would concentrate on the Venice , Florence and Rome idea.

Canberra
Level Contributor
87 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

We just got back from Europe, with a very similar itinerary through Italy. It was great for a taste, and enough for us to fall in love with the place. But Sophie's right, you need more time. We're already planning to go back for at least a week in each city. But for now...

If anything, I'd suggest shaving half a day off Florence and giving it to Venice. You'll only need half a day in Pisa. And even though you're not into museums, you really should take an hour or so to pre-book tickets to see the Statue of David at the Accademia.

I think you need two full days to get a good taste of Venice. A vaporetto ride up the Grand Canal to St Mark's Square, perhaps the Secret Doges Palace tour, Rialto Bridge, and wandering back through all the alleys, laneways and canals to wherever you're staying. On the second day, I'd catch the vaporetto out to the islands, probably Burano, and get yourself lost for the rest of the day. And if the mood takes you, jam in a gondola ride. While we were there 48 hours, we really only had one and a half days, and we ran out of time.

Two and a half days in Rome is probably enough, again for a quick taste. We did day tours, taking in the city centre on the first morning, including Piazza Navona, the Pantheon and the Trevi Fountain.

then another half day tour in the afternoon at Palatine Hill, the Forum and the Colosseum. And you do have to go inside the Colosseum! The second day was a day tour down to Pompeii, which was well worth it, but Ostia Antica is a closer substitute that will give you more time in the capital. The last morning was a tour of the Vatican. It was exhausting, and we missed the Spanish Steps, but a great taste nonetheless.

Regardless, do your homework on what you want to see, and how you want to see it. Our biggest mistake for Venice was to just wing it, and we missed too much that we could have easily fit in.

Good luck, and have a great time.

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

I'd say 4 days Rome,3 Venice and Florence..And also skip any day trips..or maybe just visit Siena from Florence,which is magnificent!You will hardly have enough time to appreciate these cities in 10 days total though..

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
7,983 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

I thought you were thinking of visiting the big three only, no sidetrips?? You have 10 nights, nine (9) days on land, which is challenging enough. March may not be the greatest of weathers for CT and do you really have to have a photo holding up the Tower of Pisa? And what do you mean by Tuscany area (Florence is Tuscany), unless you are thinking of the Tuscan countryside. Something has to give here.

Will you have a car?? If not, I would drop the idea of day trips altogether and just enjoy the big three in any combo/variation. If you are not into museums, why do you need to base in Florence?

How about the following and this is plenty pushing it already, but I have a feeling that you will push it anyway. ;)

Arrive in Rome and spend four nights there. Eurostar to Venice and spend two-three nights there (and you have no idea how it hurts me to say this!) Pick up a rental car from Piazalle Roma on the way out of Venice, and head straight for Southern Tuscany, and base in Montepulciano, Pienza, etc. for the remainer of your nights, three or four, depending how long you dedicate to Venice. Good G-d willing, you will have a decent weather and winter wheat will be coming up to knock your collective socks off. Cruise the hilltop villages. On the 2nd of April, early enough to allow for the drive, unexpected delays and check-in time, drive yourselves to the airport in Roma, dump the rental car, and home.

Pick up the rest of your itinerary when you return to Italy.

Florida
Level Contributor
904 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

I am taking my daughter to Italy in March and have been myself 3 times already. We will spend 4 days in Rome, 2 days in Florence and one day on a tour to Sienna, San Giminiagno, and Voltera. Then 2 days in Venice. flying into Rome and out of Venice. The only reason we will be able to see this much is because I know how to get around. It will take you at least a day and a 1/2 just to orient yourself to Rome. You will also be in Italy during Holy Week which will slow you down quite a bit. If you don't like museums and such skip Florence. Stay in Rome 4-5 days the take the train to Sienna and spend a day or 2 then go to Venice for 2 days. This will give you a feel for the different regions you will be visiting and still make you want to return!

Asia
Level Contributor
43 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

Hi all, thank you very much for all your suggestions and advice (For some reason I did not receive email alerts for the replies, so I thought my thread had already been buried). I knew I was going to be told that we are not spending enough time in each city. Unfortunately that's a given....

With the suggestions provided, we are allocating 1 day fom Florence to Venice. So it will be a 3.5/2.5 day split. And yes, by Tuscany, I mean Tuscan country side. Saw pictures of CT while doing some search on the trip, and now I am determined to go. :) We will now skip Pisa based on the recommendations. Maybe check out Sienna or other villages.

Once again, thank you for all the suggestions. I am sure I will be back soon with more questions as I plan the trip in details. :)

Roma
Destination Expert
for Rome
Level Contributor
11,308 posts
527 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How to allocate our visit to Florence, Venice, and Rome

I think too there are too many places in too little time. And, once again, the most popular places, those one heards most about, as if visiting all of them was a duty. I'm afraid in such cases one comes to have a look of a lot of things without enjoying anyone; I think you should cut out something and let yourself a little free to enjoy the other places without hurry.

And don't think you are forced to see a place because it is regarded as a must see. Look for information about these places, make a selection and choose what is really important for you. 10 days in Rome, Florence and Venice without day trips may be rather doable; but I think that two of them (maybe with one or two day trips) would be better for the quality of your travel.

Anyway, if you really managed to put inside Rome-Florence-Venice-Pisa-Cinque Terre etc., don't think you'll have seen Italy; you'll have seen just a part of it, consisting of the most touristy places.

Edited: 6:44 am, November 28, 2012