We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

Coventry
2 posts
Save Topic
Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

Hi im thinking of booking a trip for my hubbys 30th in january but am worried if there are still going to be severe floods in january 2013!? Ant syggestiins would help on whether i should book it or not??!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

It is impossible to say whether there will be aqua alta in January: the direction and strength of the wind are major factors and cannot be predicted more than a few day ahead.

The flooding is tidal: water comes gently into low areas as the tide rises, then the tide turns and it goes away. There is no danger, and usually little inconvenience.

A recent post gave statistics showing that really severe flooding had occurred only 16 times in the past 100 years.

There is no reason to avoid going to Venice.

UK
Level Contributor
1,601 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

Avoid full moon and new moon - which you can google to find.

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

Much less likely. Statistics show the probability of acqua alta is about 4 times less in January compared to November and December.

In addition there have been no exceptional acua alta at all in January since records began.

Edited: 6:38 pm, November 19, 2012
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

I am now in Venice. No problems with water. And no signs that it was here because it is tidal. It was abnormally high a few weeks ago and there was some cleanup but it is something the Venetians have been dealing with for a very long time.

Like anywhere else, the tide comes in, goes out and life goes on. Don't let the international news reports that Venice was underwater scare you away. Come and enjoy.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,339 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

Venice was NOT flooded. It suffered aqua alta = high water it goes uo and then it goes down...... It is hard to forecast in advance but should it happen act accordingly.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,084 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

Rosa,

You should have seen some of the reports on television in the US....it showed the worst of the high water from the first of this month and really made it sound like this was the new normal for Venice. I know better and had to fend off a lot of questions from friends and coworkers if my trip was still on etc. So as "old" as it gets you'll be dealing with those questions forever.

The problem was that news reports said "flood" when it should have said high water which is a normal, tidal phenomenon. And of course in the US after the recent devastation on the east coast from the hurricane everyone thinks the worst.

I am so delighted to be here! In Venice! Today will be my first full day of a month in the most beautiful city in the world.

Michelle

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,249 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

You have waited a long time for this Michelle. enjoy, I know you wil

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,339 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

I think most of the media in the US and the Uk did exactly the same ....bad media hype... Have a wonderful stay its a beautiful day today !

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,249 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

Really was not a lot of coverage of Venice here, much more about the hurricane in the US at almost the same time,

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
6,183 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Due to flood, is it safe to visit Venice in January 2013??

Great Michelle ! So you're there at last, and you have contact, have a wonderful time ! I'll be checking your blog