We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Italy to Morocco?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
311 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Italy to Morocco?

My husband and I are in the planning stages of our 20th anniversary trip next year, and can't decide between Italy (Venice) and Morocco. So what we're trying to figure out is, if there is a reasonable way to do both? Is there a ferry that would travel across the Tyrrhenian/Balearic/ Alboran Seas from Italy to Morocco? We would appreciate any insight.

~Christy

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
29,570 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Italy to Morocco?

Ferry from Italy www.grimaldi-lines.com

Ferry from Tangier to Spain www.frs.es

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Italy to Morocco?

There are flights from Bologna and Milan to Morocco by two cheap airlines - Jetairfly and EasyJet. I know nothing about the first airline, which is small. EasyJet, with a large modern fleet, flies five days a week from Milan Malpensa to Casablanca.

With all low cost airlines, look at baggage dimensions, allowances and charges very carefully.

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,428 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Italy to Morocco?

Congratulations on your 20th anniversary! We celebrated our 20th some years back and Venice was one of the places we visited. It is a very romantic city.

If you have the time do the two because it is possible. www.easyjet.com will be helpful for finding flights between the two countries. I see that there are flights from Milan Malpensa to a few cities in Morocco. The good news is that it is easy to travel between Venice Santa Lucia train station and Milan Malpensa Airport by train. Go to http://www.fsitaliane.it/frecciarossa.html and click on the British flag for English interface. You can check train information at this Trenitalia website.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your trip planning.

Edited: 8:03 pm, November 06, 2012
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
28,100 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Italy to Morocco?

If using http://www.fsitaliane.it/frecciarossa.html for trains to Malpensa, you must enter your starting station as Venezia S. Lucia.

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,697 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Italy to Morocco?

My family and I used Grimaldi Lines a few months ago, from Barcelona to Tangier, on a ship that had come from Genoa in Italy, www.grimaldi-lines.com - also try www.gnv.it, the other company that sails Italy to Tangier.

The ship (ours was the 'Ikaraus Palace') had all the usual cruise ferry facilities - comfortable cabins with private shower and toilet, cinema, self-service and a la carte restaurants, bars, childrens playroom, a small swimming pool on deck, sun decks, and so on.

And you get to sail through the Straits of Gibraltar.

Overall a nice relaxing experience, as long as you don't mind stepping over Moroccan families without cabins camping out in the hallways to reach the restaurant or bar!

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Italy to Morocco?

I've been to both and it is quite literally day & night in differences. If you have a few weeks to do both, that's great but it's a long way from Venice to Morocco. I would suggest that you do Venice, Florence, Rome and return another time for North Africa.

If you are in Southern Portugal or Spain, Morocco is an easy few hours by frequent and cheap ferries from multiple ports in Spain. When we were there many years ago, we bought a tour together with the ferry tickets and it was worth the extra, just for security. After the tour, I decided to go back into the souq to visit more shops. The tour guide found out and sent in men and cabs to find us and get us out before something bad happened. I was not worried but from his expression, I should have been.

We enjoyed Morocco but I would not think of it as romantic. Maybe it's me but Venice, Tuscany and Italy overall are so much more romantic. What I wanted to do but ran out of time is to fly to Crete from Rome. If you have the extra time, I would add Geek Isles to your list rather than Morocco. Greece is cheaper than Italy but very busy in tourist season.

Latina, Italy
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Italy to Morocco?

As TravelDoug says, it's a long way. Looking at the Grimaldi site, the ferry from Livorno to Tangier takes 2 1/2 days, with 3 nights on board ship.

Of course you could consider it a mini Mediterranean cruise.

Edited: 11:46 am, November 07, 2012
8. Re: Italy to Morocco?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, November 28, 2013