We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

When I arrive at the train station, I want to go to San Marco via vaporetto.

I know I can hop on the 1 or 2 line at the train station and go around the island to San Marco. But can I go up the Grand Canal on the #1 or #2 directly? It is my impression that I need to get on the vaporetto at the train station, cross the canal, then transfer to a vaporetto going the other way directly along the Grand Canal to San Marco.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,836 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

The number 1 always goes down the the Grand Canal, but the 2 sometimes as far as the the Rialto, and and some go via the Giudecca Canal, depends which way they are travelling ,

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
8,959 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

NO you don't have to change vaporetti the stop is driectly outside the trains station.

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

Precisely: You get on the No. 1 vaporetto outside the train station and it takes you along the Grand Canal to San Marco; the stops are on both sides of the Grand Canal, but there's no change of vaporetto.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

Exiting the train station and heading straight forward towards the water of the Grand Canal, you need to get a n°1 or n°2 line which arrives from your right and is heading to your left to travel the Grand Canal towards Piazza San Marco.

There are also stations outside the train station for both directions, and for multiple vaporetto lines, but to get to Piazza San Marco via the Grand Canal you need to catch a n°1 or n°2 line vaporetto arriving from your right and heading to your left.

Anything else will take you a different place or a different route.

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

Thank you for your responses.

So, why do I see people get on the 1/2 at the train station (vaporetto traveling left to right) then they get off as soon as it crosses the canal to take the 1/2 going the opposite way?

Montreal
Level Contributor
17,790 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

Maybe because they're as confused as you are?

Great Barrington...
Level Contributor
4,242 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

They might be! But they certainly look like they know what they are doing, hence my question.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
639 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

PR is the capolinea. Maybe they are vying for the seats at the front.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

The n°2 heading from left to right as viewed from the Station will not end at Piazzale Roma, but continue to Tronchetto, Zattere, Giudecca, San Giorgio Maggiore and end up at San Zaccaria.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Vaporetto Lines 1/2 Question

Have a look at this timetable. We wanted to get the 5.1 and 5.2 down and back to our accommodation which was just in from the San Zaccaria Vaporetto stop. Are you heading straight to St Marks Square... anyway the train station vaporetto stop is Ferrovia on the timetable. San Zaccaria is two walk bridges to the right of St Mark's Square.

The reason why we wanted these lines were they were the fastest and came via the Giudecca Canal ( opposite way to the Grande Canale which has many stops and takes much longer). We were told by the ticket seller we would have to get the No 2 which ended up taking us well over an hour and 15 mins standing most of the way. The others I wanted only took 23 mins if I recall and not so crowded. We decided to walk up to Rialto Bridge and around the Grande Canal area to save time and ended up sitting in a cafe with no cover charge right on the canal and took in the views!

Here is the link, click on the clock to get an idea how long the trip takes and tack on another 15 mins for good measure.Not sure about the timetable as it states until Nov 11 but at least youd' see the time....I know I know everyone wants to come down the Grande canal, but at what expense.

actv.it/en/…waterbusservicestimetable

Edited: 9:03 pm, October 31, 2012