We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
46 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

If you had to pick one thing, what would you say is the most romantic thing to do in Venice?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,791 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

Would think the most popular thing would be a Gondola ride,

Poulsbo, Washington
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
10,272 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

One thing my wife and I always do is go to San Marco early in the morning when it is still pretty quiet with the sounds of the Duomo's bells ringing. We sit outside and have a cup of coffee and pinch ourselves and say it is not a dream, "We are not in Kansas anymore."

Thessaloniki, Greece
Level Contributor
951 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

What Sophie said..a gondola ride would be for me!!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

See I don't find gondolas romantic...traditional possibly.... For me maybe up san giorgio tower...possibly with as few people as possible. Or a walk across san marco late at night even after the bars have closed it beautiful..

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,263 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

Put me down for just strolling around late in the evening after dark. Venice is just magical at that time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
42,781 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

Wandering just as dawn breaks - so beautiful and quiet

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,516 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

We like wandering around after dinner along the lagoon and down quiet streets along some of the small canals. The play of light on the water, the music from Piazza San Marco, and the ambience of Venice in the evening is magic. Perhaps a leisurely drink in Piazza San Marco while listening to the music, and a slow dance in the piazza by the water.

Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,653 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

Absolutely, wandering the quiet streets and piazzas, early morning or late at night. I don't see anything remotely romantic about a gondola ride - just you, your significant other and a stranger together in a boat, beside lots of other boats, and people leaning out the windows of the houses on the canals looking down on you and taking photos.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

" just you, your significant other and a stranger together in a boat" well I guess it is quite open to interpretation.

A carriage ride around the park can be considered either a very romantic tour in a nostalgic, old fashioned way, or also described as "running around behind the rear-end of a smelly beast" for half an hour. Maybe better to take a taxi to cross the park, or better yet rent a SUV and drive yourselves.

Some people find the beauty of gliding along silently, without a motor, propelled by someone who can guide the hand-crafted and one of a kind boat as only several hundred people in all the world can manage it, viewing the centuries old buildings of the world's once most powerful and unique maritime republic from the water, as they were built to be seen, as something a bit extraordinary and, perhaps romantic experience. Go figure what they must be thinking poor souls.

Another (non)-romantic alternative is to go sit in Piazza San Marco and drink overpriced draught beer (don't bother with the prosecco, it just tickles the nose going down which can be a bother) while being constantly pestered by dirty pigeons and ogled by picnicking tourists, as that is often mistakenly considered "romantic" as well.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
7,472 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Most romantic thing to do in Venice?

Another vote for the late-night wander. Stroll around the back alleys and side canals of Dorsoduro or Santa Croce after dinner. Maybe stop off at a quiet back street bar for a nightcap. Then head towards the Grand Canal and wait for a vaporetto, while enjoying the flickering reflections on the water. When the vaporetto arrives, walk through the doors at the rear and sit outside. As you chug along the Grand Canal, gaze at the darkened palazzi, with just a few dim lights glowing inside some of them. Think about the history of this astonishing and beautiful place, and count yourself lucky you are there!