We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
946 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

Hi,

I've been charged Coperto / Coperti in some restaurants in Venice and Milan.... what are they... and are they normal?

I just want to make sure I wasn't ripoff.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
146 replies to this topic
Quebec City, Canada
Level Contributor
946 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

I forgot to mention it was once 2.50 in Milan... and 2.00 in Venice.

Mentioned in this post
Milan
Milan
Lombardy, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,312 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

It means cover charge and is normal,

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
44,520 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

Everywhere can charge coperto except in the Lazio region, which includes Rome - but, that doesn't mean that there are some restaurants that will charge it even though they are not supposed to. You can point out that you know it is not allowed in Rome.

You will also be charged in some place, including Rome, for bread (pane) - if you don't want it, wave it away when they bring it to the table and check your bill to be sure they did not include a charge for it.

Mentioned in this post
Lazio
Lazio
Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
north carolina
Level Contributor
6,605 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

And of course, the trade-off is that you pay the coperto and do not leave a tip.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
28,327 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

the coperto and tip have nothing to do with each other. in Italy tipping is not the norm besides perhaps a small rounding of the bill or a little change on the table.

the cover charge is the norm except in Rome where it is not legal BUT they can charge for bread which you have to refuse if you don't want to pay for it. jsut because they set it on your table doesn't make it free. (Last time we were in Rome we ordered a bruschetta appetizer and they still brought a bread basket which we did send away so we weren't charged for it)

because of the cover, even an inexpensive lunch can get expensive for a group -- we tend to picnic at lunch or go to places without cover like cafeterias for quick meals

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
California
Level Contributor
120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

Janettraavels4, when you say that " even an inexpensive lunch can get expensive for a group" does that mean that the coperto is charged per person? I thought it would be for the table.

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,412 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

"the coperto and tip have nothing to do with each other. in Italy tipping is not the norm besides perhaps a small rounding of the bill or a little change on the table."

Maybe. But, I do then same thing as roadgard. I leave American style tips (15%),but I subtract the coperto from what I leave (15% minus coperto).

In Florence the coperto was per person and was in the range of 2-5 euro per person (luckily we were only 2 people. I find this coperto thing ridiculous. it seems to be a way to make the cost of a ,meal to the uninformed looking at a menu in the windlow look cheaper.

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Bologna
Level Contributor
171 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

In Italy people find ridiculous the American style tips thing, so please don't judge using words like ridiculous...

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
9. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:35 pm, September 14, 2012

Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
17,792 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?

It was however only a duplicate submission!

One possible reason for American difficulties with cover charges being "per head" or "per table" can be seen in the last para here....

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Cover_charge#Origin_as_r…

Peter

Reply to: Coperto / Coperti: What are they and are they 'normal'?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted