We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help and advice

Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need help and advice

Hi I'll be visiting Venice early March from Thursday evening till Saturday lunch time.

What would you suggest that me and my bfriend do in order to get the most we can of Venice?

We're staying at the Metropole hotel.......is it good? They said they're upgrading us to a junior suite......is that true or would they come with billions of excuses so as not to on the day? And what is the deal with breakfasts and the 'free' trip to Murano....should I trust them?

I'd appreciate some help, as it's been my dream to go to Venice but now that I'm going for such a short time I wouldn't want to miss an important thing! :)

One last thing....I'd like to go eat somewhere nice on Friday night....maybe somewhere nice quiet and romantic which is not too far from us.............any suggestions?

Much obliged :)

Malta
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help and advice

no help yet :(

Montreal, QC
Destination Expert
for Nice
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help and advice

I'll be there about the same time you will be there (from Friday afternoon to Sunday early AM). We must rely on guidebooks and look also in previous posts as I did.

Improvisation is the word i think and let's hope we get back there one day...

Chesapeake, VA
Destination Expert
for Virginia Beach
Level Contributor
3,868 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help and advice

That "free" trip is followed by a strong encouragement to buy. For the short time you'll be there, you can bypass the trip. You'll see plenty of beautiful glass in the shops. If you like art, visit the Academy or visit some churches which also are wonderfully inexpensive places to see art. Walk the city over. You can see it all in the time you have. Shopping the back streets is the best part of Venice. Buy a bag of corn in Piazza San Marco and take pictures of each other covered in birds (pack some handi-wipes if you're squeemish about birds). Visit the Doges Palace. Ride the Grand Canal on a vaporatto. If you have bucks to spare, take a gondola ride. And like the other poster said, vow to return. I wish I had had longer.

Thornton, Colorado
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help and advice

I agree the "free" trip really isnt. They drop you at the glass blowers expensive showroom. We then had to find our own way back to San Marco. We decided it was just more of the big adventure and strolled around Murano.

Denver
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help and advice

Don't even get started with anyone that offers you the "free trip to Murano". They tempt you with a quick ride in a private vaporetto (water taxi). You are taken into a glass factory and after the demonstration of how the glass is blown into a small horse, you'll be taken into the showroom to look at their goods. Even though I thought I'd treat myself to something special while we were there (I collect blown glass, sculptures, etc.) the prices were ridiculous!! And the choice was very little, also.

Things were in the thousands of dollars and upwards. You can find the same items, with more variety, in the shops all over town on the main island of Venice. And you can also find reasonably priced glass items to take home as souvenirs in town, also. Don't waste your precious time, only to get the high pressure pitch. When they realized I wasn't going to buy anything I was politely shown the door and we took the regular water bus back to the Grand Canal. Not a problem, but a waste of time and energy.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
91 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help and advice

The best advice I got before our first trip to Venice was that if you only have a couple of days---don't bother with the side trips away from Venice. Just walk walk walk and explore (even if you get lost) Venice. The signs always point you back to key places like San Marco or Accademia, etc. You really don't get too lost.

The hotel may have said that breakfast is included in the price. At our hotel we had a lovely breakfast consisting of juice, coffee (or hot chocolate), a croissant and roll for each person. That's the standard continental breakfast.

Dalton, Georgia,USA
Level Contributor
63 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help and advice

Hotel Metropole is in the San Marco area. so I am fairly familiar with it. I have been to Venice three times and I still cannot wait to go back.

My best tip is go and get as hopelessly lost as you can because 1) it is an island, you can't screw up too bad and every neighborhood has its own charm in Venice. The rabbit warren of "streets" in Venice all look like places you should not wander off into, but in my experience it is absolutely a blast to get totally confused where you are. Just about every time we do this we find an absolutely charming cafe and stop for a cappucino or glass of wine or bowl of fresh strawberies with lemon on them.

Go in every church you come to. Some of the little out of the way parish churches boast a Titian or Tintoretto that they are delighted to share with visitors.

Gondolas are quite a romantic touch in the late afternoon early evening before a nice dinner. Many reasonably priced concerts every night in Venice. Mostly Vivaldi, but fun and light evening of classical music! In your area about 10-15 minutes walk is one of my favorite Venitian Resturants, Ristorante Al Giardinetto, address Ruga Giuffa, Castello 4928 has a nice website www.algiardinetto.it It is a charming local with excellent food, service, winelist etc Not overly elegant but always a charming place for a good meal. I am planning a trip with my wife, daughter and son-in-law this October and we will be back in Venice again for a couple days. good travelling jim

Los Altos...
Level Contributor
728 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help and advice

Just one thing, yes, it's very true that the "free" trip to Murano comes with a good amount of pressure to buy, so bypass it if you are not interested in buying Murano glass or just want a cheapy souvenir. But, if you are planning on buying something memorable in the way of glass, I disagree with some of the above advice. The stuff that is sold in many of the shops in Venice, particularly around San Marco Square, is shoddy in craftsmanship and often not even made in Italy, much less in Murano or Venice. There's a HUGE range in quality when it comes to "Murano glass". If you want to buy something nice in Venice itself, you'd need to either purchase it in one of the reputable Murano glass shops, such as Pauly & Co, or Venini, but you'll pay $$$ for it as well. Otherwise, you should take them up on the offer to head over to Murano to see to glass-blowing studios. Keep in mind that the person who picks up the tab for your water-taxi ride is the proprietor of the glass studio that they directly deliver you to. So if you want to stroll Murano leisurely, and to check out the shops on your own, then I would take the water bus out to Murano and back yourself.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help and advice

I would never take the "free" trip. But I would never miss Murano. Consider visiting Burano on the same trip. It really is magical...although evrything is....I agree getting lost is almost my favorite thing to do. I once took a walking tour guide book, woke up at 6:00 ( I had jet lag) and spent the morning walking around with the book in my hand. I learned so much and had the city to myself. Piazza San Marco was totally empty. The early morning light coming off the water brought tears.

We always book "the secret itinerary tour" one day in advance at the Doge Palace. It is really worth it!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help and advice

Two wonderful restaurants - one fun and social, the other romantic and quiet: The first is Bacaro Jazz -- a ristorante and wine bar (the gnocchi is to die for). It is located at San Marco 5546, in fron of the post office. It is a fun lively (not too lively though) environment (www.bacarojazz.com). The staff were wonderful, a great mix of old and young -- and watching Italians appeciate jazz is enjoyable!

The second is Barbacari -- I can't remember exactly where it is but it is down a dark side street behind the Campo S. Bartolomio -- the concierge at your hotel should know how to get there -- beautifu, quiet, with a fireplace -- reservations are recomended.

On another note, Venice is not nearly as big as people think, and 3 days should be plenty. (If you are in good shape, I would recommend climbing the stairs to the top of the Duomo -- the very top -- great views of the city -- if you can handle all of the steps. My husband and I make a point to try and climb the steps of all of the major sites in europe, it makes for funny stories.