We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Hey There,

Trying to book an itinerary around Croatia but finding it very difficult with bus/ferry schedules. We arrive in Venice on June 15 and would like to leave on the 18. I know a ferry through Venizia lines would be the easiest but there schedule would take away from all the time we want to spend in Venice and Pula. Bus seems like the next best choice. Can anyone tell us a bus company that goes from Venice/Mestre to Pula on a daily basis? Can we book online or do we book when we get there?

Thank you

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

You need to take the train to Trieste and then the bus to Pula/Pola. There is no bus from Venice as far as I know.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
31,364 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Train Venice to Trieste www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Bus information Trieste to Pula click on International Linee www.autostazionetrieste.it

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
190 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

There are daily buses from Venice to Pula Mondays through Saturdays, leaving at 10:45 am from the bus park at Tronchetto and arriving at 5:25 pm in Pula.

It is a coach-type bus (think Greyhound) and stops several times along the way. Pack snacks and a good book and when you wake up, you'll be there.

The cost is euro 24 per person plus euro 1 for each bag. You can make reservations for seats online, but you pay when you board.

Here are two websites to look at:

www.croatiatraveller.com/Istria/PulaBuses.htm

and the actual bus line--www.fils.hr/home.php

email Tanja at fils@fils.hr and she will help you. She writes very good English.

You reach the bus park by taking the 'People Mover' tram from Piazzalle Roma to Tronchetto station. It's a three-minute ride which costs euro 1. The Tronchetto parking island has parking for thousands of vehicles for the daily commuters and also is the arrival/departure point for most tour buses.

According to Tanja, the tram takes you right to the bus station, which apparently is in the same building as the tram terminal.

"There are just five platforms for international buses and you will easily find our bus (it has written FILS on both sides)", she wrote.

We are taking this same bus ride in mid-September after our week in Venice and I'll probably make a 'dry run' to the Tronchetto station a day or two ahead of time since we've never been on the People Mover or to the Tronchetto island.

For more info on the tram, just Google Venice People Mover.

Hope you enjoy your trip and please post a review of the bus ride when you get home for those of us who will be following you.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Good to know. As for the bus at Tronchetto you hinestly don't need a dry run. The people mover does end at the bus park. Which is tiny ...like a small car park withspaces for about 7 buses. The nearest bar/ toilet is a 2 minute walk towards the vaporetto stop.

Infact if you are takingthe No2 vaporetto you can take it to Tronchetto and the walk a very short distance ( less than if you were crossi g Piazzale Roma) to the bus area. You get off the vaporetto and turn right and walk along the waterfront. You can see the bus area from when you get off.

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
190 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Rose,

Thank you for the vaporetto information. The last I had heard was that the connecting walkway between the Tronchetto stop and the recently completed People Mover terminal had not been completed yet.

Now that it is, reaching the bus area by boat from anywhere in Venice should be a snap. Thanks for your help.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Thank you so much for the insight. If I was to take a cab from my hotel in Mestre, and ask them to take me to Tronchetto, would they know where to go. Im not much of a trevellor and I just want to make sure Im prepared.

Thanks

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
190 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Yes, this should not be a problem.

You might tell the taxi driver you want to go to the "People Mover terminal at the Tronchetto car park". You should be able to see the buses parked right there.

Look for the buses with large FILS on the sides and find the one heading for Pula. Show the driver your online reservation, pay the dude and you should be on your way. Don't forget your snacks.

Happy trails.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,413 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Yes if you ask for the bus area /people mover you should be ok. The walk area was completed when they moved the buses there last Autumn - the surrounding area did look like a buiding area but it has slowly improved.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
160 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

Any iodea on how long the bus trip is? Lonely planet says 5 hours, google maps says 2 (not including stops), and the bus schedule says 15. If it is 15, we need to make some changes, because there is no way I am sitting on a bus for 15 hours.

Your help is much appreciated :)

Great Falls, Montana
Level Contributor
190 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bus Venice/Mestre to Pula Croatia - HELP PLEASE

The trip is 6.5 hours, leaving Venice at 10:45am and arriving Pula 5:20 pm.