We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the most romantic thing to do in Venice?

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What's the most romantic thing to do in Venice?

I will be with my wife on our honeymoon in Venice for 2 nights. Besides the tourist stuff like gondola rides etc. As a local in Venice where would you take your wife and what would you do for a great time? were both 35 not really into galleries but love outdoor things and being active.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Venice Tours
City Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Gondola Cruises
AroundVenice
Boat Tours, Gondola Cruises
Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Quebec, Montreal, Quebec City, Mont Tremblant, Miami, Miami Beach
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What's the most romantic thing to do in Venice?

For me Venice is a night city. Particularly in June there is a tourist swamp everyday but since the city is expensive, lodging wise, most are day trippers and the crowd abates in the evening.

If you are arriving from somewhere in Mainland Italy plan for your arrival at around 10 at night at train Station. You will then be able to take the Grand Canal Vaporetti with relatively few other people and secure some open air seats on the front deck (do it even if its rain, you will hug together and the mist will add to the experienc). This is the most magnificient and magical way that you can want to any city in the world.

Of course everybody will tell you about a gondola ride but it seems cliche at the same time. If you want to do it, again do it around sunset and got to the more remote goldola drops and negotiate that the gondolier go trough the less touristy canals and that he abstains from singin O'Sole Mio!

As somebody said, the historical cafes on St Mark's place are also a must whith their competing orchestras (but expect to pay dearly for it around 25 Euros per person as not only beverages and foods are expansive but they charge you an extra for the music.) There is two times to go to them, around 6 p.m. when every Italian is taking is leisuruly passagietta (promenade) so you will see a lot of local people just waking leisurely and listening to the orchestras or at round eleven at night when the place is very less crowdy and hearing the three different orchestras playing against each other is kind of eerie. Then, if you want to splurge a little more tip the band leader to play some romantic Nino Rota music from Fellini's movies; like the theme from Ammarcord. For me the epiotome is the Caffe Florian but the Quadri (which is also a full fledge restaurant) and Gran Caffe Lavena, close together on the other side of the piazza have the same historical XVIII century decors, old witers in white coats and similar bands.

Finally in the daytime, visit the main attraction and follow the surge but head back to your hotel in the afternoon, rest and around sunset get lost in the less well traveled part of the city either after meal or looking for a surprise plate to eat. Even the backalleys are secure; you will loose yourself totally sometimes but will always be back on track with the numerous signs pointing to the directions of Piazza San Marco, Accademia Bridge, train station and other recognizable spots.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Ristorante Quadri
Ristorante Quadri
817 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Caffe Lavena
Caffe Lavena
908 Reviews
Venice, Italy
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: What's the most romantic thing to do in Venice?

My husband and I just returned from Venice, and we had a wonderful time just getting lost in the city and trying to find our way back to somewhere we knew. It was wonderful to feel like we were exploring together. (And some of the best places to stop and watch the world go by are off the tourist track!)

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
italy
2 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: What's the most romantic thing to do in Venice?

2 days are a short time , otherwise i would suggest to go to the orchard island of Sant'Erasmo or to see the multicoloured-houses in Burano...

go to the Ghetto and beyond it, towards the lagoon and opposite San Michele which is the cemetery (it's an island).

go past san Marco into the popular quarter of Castello.

have a nice trip, Venice is unique!

ah! overwhelming view from the belltower in San Marco....not to be missed

stefania-venice

Mentioned in this post
San Michele
San Michele
232 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
lorneville, nb...
Level Contributor
124 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: What's the most romantic thing to do in Venice?

I would have to concur with those who recommend a late bottle of wine at St. Marco's square, maybe at Cafe Florian (I think all the cafes are good in St. Marco, so perhaps you should look for the band you like best that particular night, and perch at their cafe).

Dont worry about the cost of the wine; its triple what you'd pay at home, and so what?

It'll taste three times better.

If youre not into galleries, that buys you some time to just explore Venice. Have an espresso at a stand-up bar before you hit the crowds in the morning, do the tourist thing all day, and when the crowd clears at night, soak up the music, maybe dance, or just chill with the new old lady.

PS: That sailboat thing on the Grand canal sounds pretty nice, too.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy