We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

NYC
Level Contributor
1,881 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

My husband asked me that when we were in venice. I have no idea.

I have wondered about it.

I did a forum search and could find nothing. I think Venice has to be one of the safest cities in the world. There are no cars (no auto crashes or pedestrians being runned over) and I know there is very little crime.

But, my husband does wonder how many peeps fall into canals.

Bummer, he made me wonder too.

Edited: 7:42 pm, March 18, 2011
Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
561 posts
Save Reply
41. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

An elderly Venetian friend of mine drowned last winter (yes, he had been drinking and stopped to take a wee) Problem was he had been wearing a heavy woolen overcoat. Another friend toldd me of a yound 5yo falling in and drowning (40 years ago) due to sibling not supervising properly and not having learned to swim. Also saw a tourist (approx 8yo child) fall from bridge near the Armani shop while backing up for parents (who were taking his photo!) It does happen unfortunately.

Scotland
Level Contributor
68 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

I think the pollution would kill them first!!!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Really is it that bad,

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

I always wonder when people mention pollution as over the last few years, I've seen a big increase in the amount of fish I now feed when dining canal side, or that I love to watch from bridges. You can even see them right outside the Ferrovia.

Doesn't big healthy fish mean little or no pollution?

Scotland
Level Contributor
68 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

In the "back " Canals the water appeared to be stagnant. I saw Rats but no fish. A Google search shows Venice has pollution problems.

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Recently I'm the uk there was a lovely documentary series called Venice 24/7 it followed emergency services in Venice. Frankly the thing you have to watch out for is not falling in the canals but getting trapped in the little elevators that have been installed for disabled use on the bridges! Being trapped in tiny tin can in Venice summer heat not attractive!!!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,363 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

I watched 2 epidoses of the 24/ 7 and some of it was 100% rigged for the cameras.......

Fintry, United...
Level Contributor
481 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

I am sort of relieved to read that Rosa! It was good though. My favourite was the fire brigade climbing up to the lady trapped in her house and handing her a coffee through the bathroom window - such service!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,333 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

I liked 24/7 more for the scenery than the several services shown, it was certainly different,

Think we are going off topic,

UK
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
Save Reply
50. Re: Do A Lot Of People Drown In Vencie

Having had some involvement in documentary production many years ago I discovered that "good television" only occassinally involves reality or the interests of the subjects involved!