We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotel to airport, please help

Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Topic
hotel to airport, please help

Hello,

I think I've seen this questions posted, but can't find it.

We are staying at Locanda Ca'Formosa and our flight leaves at 630 AM on a Sunday. Does anyone have any good suggestions on getting from the hotel to the airport at that time of the morning?

Thanks, would appreciate any help.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotel to airport, please help

If your flight departs at 6.30 a.m. you obviously will need to be at Marco Polo well before that. The first Alilaguna ferry leaves from San Marco around 4.35 a.m. but takes over an hour so cutting things very short indeeed. Check on www.alilaguna.it to see if they have introduced an earlier service this year - always a possibility.

The first coach (ACTV) from Piazale Roma leaves around 4.40 a.m. and takes around 35/40 minutes. But you will need to add on the time it takes to get down the Grand Canal from your Hotel. Check water bus and land bus timetables on www.actv.it.

The expensive, but highly convenient, alternative is to take a private water taxi. These will run you from your Hotel, or the canalside nearest your hotel, to Marco Polo in around25 minutes but will charge 80+ euros - for that they will take up to 6 passengers and all their luggage.

You still have to get the 4/500 yards from the landing stage to he arrivals hall at maroc Polo. The free shuttle bus connecting the two is at present suspended and I do not know when it will be resumed.

Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotel to airport, please help

Thank You Robert J.

Would you stay your last night closer to the airport?

Sorry, but how far is 4/500 yards? Is it walking distance?

I've checked the websites, doesn't look like we are too lucky for early transportation.

How close can we arrive to time of departure for international (I know the recommended times is 2 hrs.....Last time I flew international was 10 years and I forget).

We are flying Venice to Toronto via Amsterdam?

Thanks again N

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,448 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hotel to airport, please help

Dont know if this is of any help, your hotel is very central regards getting to the Grand Canal for a water Bus,probably a bit closer to the Rialto not far as the crow flies but lots of twists and turns alleys etc,but what I mean is the Rialto water bus stop is a lot nearer the Bus Terminus at Piazzale Roma, than having to go via St marks, if all else fails when you get there do a dummy run and see how long it takes you,dont let it spoil your break there must be a solution.

P.s you can always get bus tickets in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,338 Reviews
Venice, Italy
chicago, IL
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: hotel to airport, please help

i just got back from venice and we took a private taxi then the porter service instead of the shuttle. it was more expensive but fast and easy. i believe the whole trip took like 25 min.

Ardmore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
172 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: hotel to airport, please help

We took a land taxi from Piazale Roma to Marco Polo for our 6:30 AM flight to Amsterdam. The cost was, I think, 30E. The ride was quick and dropped us off right at departures. There is no question this is a better value than the Alilaguna for even two people if you're just looking for transportation. The 400 - 500 yard walk to the dock is nothing if you have no luggage but its a pretty long hike if you're loaded down with stuff. If I had everything to do over again, and I hope to later this year, I would avoid the 6:30 AM flight and still take the land taxi into and out of Venice. As to arriving at the airport early - we flew NW/KLM - they didn't even start checking passengers in until 5:30 AM, only one hour early. Hope this helps.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: hotel to airport, please help

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions.

We are also flying KLM to Toronto with a stopover in Amsterdam. We tried to get a later flight but none available.

How do we arrange a land taxi?

N

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Coeur D'alene, Idaho
Level Contributor
592 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hotel to airport, please help

Hi, We had an early flight from Venice, I don't believe it was quite as early as yours, but our concierge at the hotel arranged for a private water taxi to pick up our family of 4 and 6 large suit cases right from our hotel. They arrived and got us to the airport on time. It was really easy - about 25 minutes and we were at the Kette in Venice. The cost was 90 Euro for all of us.

The treck from the drop off point to the check-in spot at the airport took about 5-8 minutes walking quickly. It is about the length of 2 football fields.

I suggest you pack lightly, and use the suitcases with rollers, it makes it a lot easier.

Have a wonderful trip.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Kette Hotel
Kette Hotel
1,234 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ardmore, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
172 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotel to airport, please help

Regarding arranging a land taxi: we just showed up at Piazzale Roma - one was waiting. This might be a little risky, I don't know. I do know that earlier in the week we took a "scouting trip" to Piazzale Roma to see how all this worked. Several taxis were there; I picked up a card from one of the drivers so we could have called if we'd wanted to do so. I think the number the driver gave me was for a 24 hour automated system. You could always get a card and call - it might make for a little piece of mind. Getting from Venice to the airport so early was one of my big worries about our trip and ended up being one the smoothest and easiest parts of the whole week. Also, I think when I arrived in Venice I might go to the departures ticket counter for KLM and ask what time they will start cheking in for your departure flight - that short investment in time might save you from arriving much too early for your flight, like we did. One more bit of info - if your passes have expired be certain to purchase a ticket for the last vaperetto ride down the Grand Canal for your trip to Piazzale Roma; our second set of 72 hour passes had expired the night before we were to leave. It was tempting to not buy one for only one ride - we hadn't been checked anywhere but at Rialto all week - but I decided it was the right thing to do so we went ahead and bought them. We were on the boat - our last ride in Venice - for less than 10 seconds when the attendant asked us for our pass. I was really gald we'd bought one or we might have ended our trip with a nasty fine.

Mentioned in this post
Piazzale Roma
Piazzale Roma
26 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Hotel Rialto
Hotel Rialto
2,338 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Ontario
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: hotel to airport, please help

Thank you soooo much for all of your valuable information. I' starting to feel a bit better of leaving at that time of the morning.

Thanks again, N