We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help please - somewhere to meet

MID NORTH COAST NSW...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Help please - somewhere to meet

Hi everyone, I need some help. I will be in Venice staying at Hotel All Angelo, while I am in Venice my daughter will be in Florence. She is planning to come to meet me one day but we are unsure of where to meet. Neither of us has been to Venice, she will be traveling by train and plans to arrive about 10.30am. Can anyone give us a central place that will be easy for us to find. It will be my first morning in Venice so I won't know where I am going either.

Best Seller
Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica...
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,630 Reviews
from $80.10*
$87.30
Best Seller
Venice Walking Tour and Gondola Ride
2,679 Reviews
from $53.80*
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,067 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

Why not arrange to meet near the Campanile in St Mark's Square? It's impossible to miss seeing it, and it is in an open area. You could walk there, and your daughter could take a vaporetto down the Grand Canal to San Marco.

MID NORTH COAST NSW...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

Thank you Nick, this is a great help

MID NORTH COAST NSW...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

Nick, would there be a coffee place nearby, we could meet there in case she is late I can have a coffee?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,951 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

Oops, the cafes in San Marco square are THE most expensive in Venice and the only place to actually sit down in the square at all. Mind you, nice coffee and cake and if the orchestra is playing and additional cover charge but it is sort of a once in a lifetime experience. Coffee maybe E10.

That is the base of the campanile you can see in the first picture

www.caffeflorian.com/

Or there is Gran Caffe Quadri wihich has similar prices and is in the piazetta as you approach the campanile from the waterfront.

www.quadrivenice.com/pages/home.php?ling=EN

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,663 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

I would think to meet at the Train Station would be a good idea, you can find out exactly when the Train arrives,it will be easy enough for you to go to Train Station (Ferrovia) by Vaporetto from your Hotel line 1 or 2, allow 20 minutes for the journey,

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,067 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

Ummm. The train station is large, and people could easily miss each other. You can't even arrange to meet at the vaporetto stop, as there are a number of different stops. I think it is a confusing area for someone who does not know Venice.

Venezia
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

I think that also the top of Rialto Bridge it's a good place for you: you can fix a point like a shop (there are only 4 shops on the top) like for example Le Perle. in a large place full of people like Piazza San Marco or the Station, can not be seen even when standing close.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,646 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

I would say the train station as well. The trains end in Venice so everybody getting off the train has to walk past you . The arrivals boards are clear they give the number of the train and where it originated so a Florence train is likely to have started in either Rome or Napoli and it normally lists the main stations. If by any miracle you miss each other say you will meet 15 mins after the train arrived at the entrance to Platform 1. This is not a huge station its all one one level and things are easy to find. If the train is late you can have a coffee in teh station or if very late then go outside teh station turn left and 2 mins down is Brec ( along with lots of other bars).

From Al Angelo you can easily get to the vaporetto stop or if you have time you can walk to the station its the main streets and signposted Ferrovia.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
8,102 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

At the train station it is easy enough to agree on a point to meet.

Believe it or not, at the track can be difficult, even with Venice being such a small station.

The most common areas I use are just outside the exits by the ticket windows (not very scenic, but difficult to miss - to the right of the main hall as you exit the tracks), just outside the doors, so protected from rain and sun, or just outside the other exit past the cafeteria and travel agency (to the left of the main hall coming from the tracks, to the right coming up the steps from the Grand Canal), above the stairs leading down towards the Grand Canal, "sotto l'orologio" (under the large clock on a tall green lamp-post).

If the weather is nice, the clock tower is also next to the outdoor seating area of the station's café where you can sit and have a coffee.

10. Re: Help please - somewhere to meet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 19, 2011