We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

La Mirada, CA
Level Contributor
102 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

We're leaving in 2 weeks for 4 nights in Venice, staying at the Marconi Hotel. They only have 2 canal view balcony rooms, and out of curiosity I asked how much to upgrade to one of those and they told me 100 euro per night. Do you feel it's worth it to pay this much extra for a balcony room on the Grand Canal?

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

This is very much a personal decision. For my part, I spend little time in my room other than asleep so I do not consider a Grand canal view very important. I have had rooms in the distant past with such a view but do not bother nowadays. I think 100 euros every night will buy quite a decent dinner with some wine which is likely to be more enjoyable to me.

A point to consider is that the Marconi is located immediately opposite the Rialto vaporetto landing stage. There are two ways of looking at it - there is a lot going on - all the hustle and bustle of ferries arriving and departing.

On the other hand it is likely to be quite noisy as the ferries ply up and down the Grand Canal, albeit at a reduced frequency, all night so it may be a sufficient distrubance to annoy you.

As I said, a very personal decision.

La Mirada, CA
Level Contributor
102 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

Robert J-

As always your posts are full of wisdom.

I'll spend that 400 euro (4x100) on Christmas gifts, a nice dinner and perhaps even a gondola ride (although I know you aren't overly fond of that indulgence). Thanks.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

I agree could be pretty noisy overlooking the Grand Canal in that area, like having a room on the main street of town, could have a couple of slap up meals with the differance

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

I agree could be pretty noisy overlooking the Grand Canal in that area, like having a room on the main street of town, could have a couple of slap up meals with the differance

North West England
Level Contributor
65 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

Having stayed in a lagoon view room opposite the San Zaccaria vaporetto stop and spoken with locals I'd say leave a room with a canal or lagoon view as it is too noisy to get restful sleep. The locals start work around 6am so it is pretty noisy from then on in my experience and goes until late night. A local venetian resident advised us against any room overlooking the busier canals - wise advice if you like your sleep! Like others have said save your cash and spend it on a slap up meal or some of the wonderful glass they sell in Venice!

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Glencoe IL
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

omigosh. Now I'm worried. I spent hours researching and finally decided on La Calcina with a room overlooking the (I think) Guidecca canal. This will probably be our only visit to Venice and I thought the canal view would be worth it. (Actually, it wasn't that pricey.) BUT . . . I don't like to get up at 6 a.m. when I'm on vacation. Maybe I'll just bring earplugs.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

RG Traveler

The giudecca Canal is very wide not be as much of a problem as the Grand Canal,although the Traffic is bigger boats etc, there would not be quite so many and much farther away.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

Sorry that last post was for

Vegasvirgin

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Upgrading To A Grand Canal View Room With Balcony Worth...

Vegasvirgin. La Calcina is on the Zattere - this wide Fondamenta lies between the Hotel and the canal. As Sophie says, the Giudecca is by far the widest canal in all Venice and nowhere near as busy or as noisy as the Grand Canal. I do not think you will find La Calcina anywhere near as noisy as a canal front room ovelooking the Grand Canal.

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy