We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train tickets from Venice to Florence; from Florence to Rome

Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Train tickets from Venice to Florence; from Florence to Rome

I've been unsuccessful to buy 4 train tickets online from Venice to Florence on 11/01/2010 and from Florence to Rome on 13/01/2010. Can anyone tell me whether I've sufficient time to buy the tickets when we're in Venice (we're only there for 2 nites).

Is there another website that I can purchase train tickets.

I've no problem buying Eurostar from London to Paris.

Thanks.

Best Seller
St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace...
Special Offer
Skip the Line: Venice in One Day...
3,627 Reviews
from $79.30*
$86.40
Best Seller
Venice Grand Canal Gondola Ride and...
2,677 Reviews
from $53.20*
auckland
Level Contributor
442 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train tickets from Venice to Florence; from Florence to Rome

in general the experienced TA posters say that prebooking train tickets is not needed, and this was certainly our experience when we travelled in Italy in Sept/Oct.Buying tickets the day before we needed them worked well for us, and I had a general idea of times etc from researching Trenitalia before we left.We found trains in Italy quite easy to use and,once we stopped worrying, quite good fun!

San Francisco
Level Contributor
260 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train tickets from Venice to Florence; from Florence to Rome

As soon as you get settled, go back to the station and take a look at the ticket vending machines. They will tell you the possible departure times, and they can book seats, book either first or 2nd class and are quick and easy. The lines at the ticket counters can take up to half an hour to get through. I am so happy I finally took the time to explore the machines as they saved me so much time. I more often than not booked tickets 10 minutes before departure.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train tickets from Venice to Florence; from Florence to Rome

Thanks. The ticket machine accept euro or pounds or do they accept australian credit cards like visa or master cards?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
96,951 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train tickets from Venice to Florence; from Florence to Rome

You will not find any vending machines in Italy that take British pounds. They take euros or credit cards.

For detailed information on using the machines, see roninrome.com/2009/…buying-a-train-ticket

5. Re: Train tickets from Venice to Florence; from Florence to Rome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:32 am, May 08, 2010