We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fragolino - Can someone give me the run down please...?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Fragolino - Can someone give me the run down please...?

I'm told Fragolino is strawberry wine and is 'to die for'. I'm also told it is available in Venice. Where would i be likely to come across it? Is there different types? Sparkling? etc

Thanks

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,465 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fragolino - Can someone give me the run down please...?

I have to say I have never tasted Fragolino and know nothing about it. However there are several good places to buy wine in Venice I suggest you try the followng -

Bottiglieria Colonna, Calle della Fava, 5595 Castello

Drogheria Mascari, Ruga degli Speziali, 381 San Polo

Vino e Vini, Fondamenta dei Furlani, 3301 Castello

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fragolino - Can someone give me the run down please...?

Have just stumbled across this article ...

Another regional curiosity is the very sweet fragolino. This strawberry-flavoured red isn't strictly wine and cannot be sold as such commercially, though you'll occasionally come across it in bars in Venice and elsewhere in the Veneto. You can sometimes find a white version too. You can be fairly sure you are drinking the real thing if it is served in unlabelled bottles. Many stores have taken to selling a fizzy 'wine' they call fragolino. This is a travesty - it is little more than poor wine with strawberry flavouring added - it is not the real McCoy (if it were, they couldn't sell it).

Can anyone tell me which restaurants may sell it please.

Thanks.

venice
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fragolino - Can someone give me the run down please...?

No the fragolino is not a strawberry wine but from grapes called "uva fragola" and you have a red or white type.

You can find Fragolino on Cantinone da Schiavi near accademia bridge on Fondamenta Nani (san trovaso canal).

If you find a fragolino wine on the supermarket is not the original but a normal wine aromatized with strawberry.

Cristiana

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fragolino - Can someone give me the run down please...?

Try LA CANTINONE GIA SCHAVI, San Trovaso, in the

Dorsoduro district it is a stone throw from the Zattere, the haven for wine amateurs and artists. . When weather permits, you can sit on the stairs of the ponte San Trovaso, with your delicious glass of fragolino and you can buy a few bottles too.

Try looking the following website

bellinitravel.com/venice/…albottegon.html