We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Innsbruck to Venice by train???

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Innsbruck to Venice by train???

As part of our trip, my family will be traveling from Innsbruck to Venice by train. On the rail Europe website I am able to make a reservation from Verona to Venice. But not able to make one at all from Innsbruck to Verona. Does the Innsbruck train go to Verona, then change trains to Venice - that's what I'm assuming. Is a reservation recommended for any part of the trip? If so can they be done at the station or should be purchased before the trip? Has anyone else done this trip? Is all luggage kept with you or do you check the large suitcases like on a plane? Thanks.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Innsbruck to Venice by train???

To review train schedule, suggest you use the DB website at: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

Train tickets are not like plane tickets. You buy a ticket for ANY train going from A to B and that ticket is good for at least the next 30 days. For premium trains the ticket cost is higher. When not required, you can make a reservation, if you wish, for a specific day/train/time and coach/seat. One would routinely do this on popular routes/times or Holidays.

The advantage of a reservation is that you can assure seats together in the same compartment and would not have to move you and your luggage if someone with one gets on the train.

The train that you will take from Innsbruck to Verona Porta Nuova will have started from Munich and will already have passengers. The same is true for the train from Verona Porta Nuova to Venice. I would recommend reservations for both trains so that the family can all be in the same compartment. You can make reservations at the train station. Don’t be surprised if you find that someone is in your seat(s). Just say “reservation”, show them the card and they will move.

DO NOT make your reservations through Rail Europe. I am advised that they charge as must as $10 or more for each. At the station a reservation costs 3 € each and you should make them probably 2 days in advance.

Your train will stop in the Innsbruck station for 6 minutes. About 10 to 15 minutes before it is due to arrive, go out to the platform (track). Somewhere near the middle of the platform there will be a board, which shows a diagram for each of the trains, which use that track through out the day. For each train, by train number, the diagram will show the engine and the coach numbers for all the coaches from front to back. Your reservation will have your coach number on it. Look at the diagram for your train and it will show that, when the train stops, your coach will be in Zone A, B or C. Look overhead and you will see big blue and white signs with an A, a B and a C. If your coach is going to stop in zone B, go stand under or near sign B. As the train pulls in note the numbers on the sign that is on the front and back of each coach. With any luck, your coach will stop right in front of you. If not, it will not be far away. This will save you having to haul your luggage through half the train to get to your compartment.

Luggage is usually not checked but you could if you wish. Because you are changing trains in mid-journey, I would not suggest doing this. There are overhead luggage racks in each compartment. On the ICE3 trains there is an additional storage area. You could put excess luggage in an unoccupied compartment but may have to move it and not able to “watch it”. Do not leave luggage in the aisle, as the conductor will become unset. If there is still not enough room, it could go on the landing between coaches but not in the rest room.

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Innsbruck to Venice by train???

Thanks dougb328. That's the most info I got on how to use/ride the train. Rail europe only answered a few of my questions. It'll be our first time in Europe. We plan to purchase the rail passes before we leave. About $1397 for 2 adults and a child with infant on lap through rail Europe (eurail selectpass saver - 10 rail day passes, 5 countries). Not including reservations - which doesn't make any sense to me.

We will be staying in Munich for a few days prior to Innsbruck. I guess I can make the reservations for the 2 legs there (Innsbruck to Verona and then on to Venice).

Would you suggest to make my other reservations in Europe as well: Venice to Rome

Rome to Florence

Florence to Nice

Nice to Geneva

Geneva to Bingen, Germany

Rail europe is charging anywhere from $33 to $100 for each reservation.

Again, thank you for the info.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Innsbruck to Venice by train???

Its probably not worth making reservations on all your trips but some trains will require it check out www.hafas.de for the online timetable.

The advantange of not making reservations to early and having a rail pass is that you can make plans on the hoof for example you may like to stay somewhere longer than you planned or you may see a picture of some interesting place which needs exploring.

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,081 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Innsbruck to Venice by train???

If I understand correctly, you are a family of four; 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant. Because you are a family and will be making several long trips, I would certainly recommend reservations for all the trains. Without reservations, you may be forced to move once or twice during one of those 7+ hour journeys.

The advantage of a reservation is that you can assure seats together in the same compartment and would not have to move everyone and all your luggage should someone with a reservation get on the train. You can settle in and take over the 6-seat compartment. When someone sees you and the troops all spread out, they will pass on by and find another compartment. The infant can then nap on the extra seats. 7.50 € per trip is a small price to pay to be uninterrupted.

I did not mention it earlier, but you can also take along your own favorite snacks/candy/sodas/beer. Stock up at a grocery store before departure. Ask the Hotel clerk where the nearest one is.

We have traveled on 5 of the 8 routes that you have mentioned and that is one of the reasons I was able to give you detailed information about the Innsbruck station. The hint about being able to find where your coach will be in the make-up of the train applies to nearly all of the stations in Europe.

I would suggest that when you travel from Munich to Innsbruck, you consider traveling via Garmisch and Mittenwald. Going that way will be much more scenic through the mountains than the route that goes around the moutains via Rosenheim. Both are direct trains. Travel time via Rosenheim is 1h 50m and travel time via Garmisch is 2h 49m because that train will make more stops and cannot go as fast.

Other readers out there know that I am usually against buying rail passes versus individual tickets. You have outlined 8 rail days and did not specify the other 2, but in your case, because you are making at least 5 very long trips’ traveling on a pass is more economical.

Bottom line is yes reservations for all but not through Rail Europe, stock up on the goodies for the train and consider going via Garmisch.

Auburn WA
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Innsbruck to Venice by train???

We are traveling from Rothenburg to Venice in mid-october. I really used the www.bahn.de site for SCHEDULE information and then finally just called them to make my reservation from Augsburg to Venice for the 3euro per person (I have a eurorail pass). It was so much easier since on the website I was unable to state I had a pass - it still wanted to charge me for a full ticket! The reservation agent as MOST HELPFUL. When they answered I just said 'specken sie english' and they immediately transferred me to an english speaking agent. Have your dates, times, and cities ready to go and they will help you do the rest. The reservation part of the trip will be charged to a credit card and then you pick up the reservation tickets once in germany.

This information is directly from the site:

Travel Information over the Telephone

Over the telephone you can receive information on Deutsche Bahn's train timetable, e.g., information on special offers and other services, order your ticket and book seats until late in the evening every day of the week. Your travel documents will be left at the travel center or ticket office of major stations for you to collect. From outside Germany please dial +49 1805 - 996633 (EUR 0.12/minute)*** I have vonage here in the states and it cost me 4cents/min to call****. From within Germany please call 11 8 61 (phone charges apply).

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
3 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Innsbruck to Venice by train???

Another useful site is www.oebb.at, Austrian railways. You can select English, but not all of the info will be available in English. Because of recent flooding in Bavaria (Germany) and Western Austria, some of the trains have been rerouted and/or are experiencing delays. In any case, you can contact the OEBB for more information. By the way, Innsbruck to Verona is a cinch -- the fastest train takes less than 4 hours. I would also make a reservation because everyone coming from Eastern Austria as well as many Eastern European countries, plus Germans all go through Innsbruck to get to Italy. The trains can be pretty crowded depending on the time of year.