We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is night time in Venice safe?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Topic
Is night time in Venice safe?

I will be there during Carnivale time, and then taking an overnight train to Rome on a Tuesday night. There is a train that leaves almost at midnight. Is Venice and the train station there pretty safe at that time? Are the overnight trains pretty safe also? I am thinking of getting those sleeping compartments. Please help, I'm a bit nervous! Also should I wait until I get to ITaly to buy the train tickets? I'm afraid they will be sold out due to the Carnival time.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
47,343 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

Talking of Venice it's self it is very safe, there are no, no go areas, even around the Station is OK, I would not inow about the late part, but someone will be able to tell you,

Australia
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

Hi

Are you looking at the train that leaves at 11:30 at night? It looks like that one goes to Tiburtina Station, in the northeast of Rome. It is connected to termini by Metro Line B. Where in Rome will you be staying?

New Haven...
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

My hotel in Rome is right by the Santa Maria Maggiore Church, close to Termini.

You mean I have to transfer trains? But I went on trenitalia and they had offered a sleeping compartment? I don't understand how this works. =(

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,260 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

The train goes from Venice to Rome, but it terminates at Tiburtina station in Rome, not the main Termini station. Not a real problem, as Metro runs from Tiburtina to Termini.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,450 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

Hi, again

Here is a link to the Metro map in Rome, which is SO easy to use!!! Look at the blue line, and find Tiburtino, then you'll see you are close to Termini. [But, don't try to walk!!! :)] The metro is 1 euro.

www.rome.info/metro/

Hey, if you're from NYC, this will be very easy for you.

Treviso, Italy
Level Contributor
1,068 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

Hi

Venice at night is very very very safe.

In my opinion is the best time to visit the city!!

No people and a magic atmosphere!

About the overnight train if you are so nervous why don't you travel during the day? :-)

In this way you can also appreciate the landscape!

Enjoy your stay in Italy, don't worry, tourist places are very safe!

Cheers

Sofia77

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,260 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

I really do not understand why Americans are so concerned about safety in Europe.

Unlike America, crime towards tourists in Europe is generally not violent. Tourists are not held up with a gun or knife, nor are they mugged.

Pickpockets will remove your wallet without you noticing anything. An opportunistic thief will take a handbag if you don't keep your eye on it. But it is highly unlikely that you will be physically attacked.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

Well ,living in Europe for almost 17 years i must say that you should allways take safety precautions.

Its not an american thing ,it is a smart human thing.I allways check what are the safe areas in the city i'm visiting.Specially train and metro stations at night aren't the safest places.Also there are some parts of a city that aren't safe,and if you know this places,just don't go there.

you have maniacs everywere and maybe it doesn't happen every day, but you don't want it to happen to you for the first time either.

Most european cities have their unsafe places.You can get mugged at gunpoint and i see it in the news everyday.It happens here in Holland,in Italy or in Spain.

That in Venice that's not the case its nice but be allways carefull.

Ireland
Level Contributor
1,908 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

I agree with Dopus. Having lived in two European countries for *ahem* way more than 17 years, Dopus has it spot on.

Venice is glorious, you'll hopefully love it, and of all the places I've travelled, certainly one of the safest. I'm happy enough trotting around late at night on my own there :0) Just use your common, and you'll be fine.

Enjoy!

K

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,727 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is night time in Venice safe?

I am rising 79, I have no qualms wandering around Venice anywhere, at any time of the day or night. It is as safe or safer than any other city I have known.

I really do not think you have much reason to feel nervous about visiting Italy. Apart from one incident in Palermo in Sicily, my wife and have never seen any untoward event in a great many years of visiting Italy.

It is virtually impossible to buy a train ticket from the official trenitalia website as they will not accept cards issued outside Italy in payment. I always buy my tickets when in Italy but for a sleeper I would make certain I bought the ticket several days in advance from the station ticket office.