We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Robert and others, where to go in lake district

seattle
5 posts
Save Topic
Help Robert and others, where to go in lake district

My husband and I will be in Venice for three nights in late September. We then want to go to the Lake District for four nights, but I’m having a hard time deciding where to go. This is at the end of our trip and we just want a place to unwind and relax with some leisurely sightseeing and walks. I would welcome any suggestions, especially on places to stay. Thank you!

st lucia
Level Contributor
1,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Robert and others, where to go in lake district

I think Sirmione on Lake Garda is very pretty. It has a lovely old castle and a nice old town with some good shops, bars and restuarants too. You can visit the rest of the lake using the ferries which are frequent. It's also possible to visit Verona from here as well and I would strongly recommend you do so. Many people don't advise Sirmione because it's not on the train line but it's easy to get buses or you can get the boat to Desenzano and then a train from there.

I think it's one of the nicest locations on the lake.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,726 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Robert and others, where to go in lake district

Difficult decision - all the lakes are beautiful, I am sure you would enjot any of them. However Lake Garda is the nearest and easiest to reach from Venice. Desenzano and Peschiera both lie on the main railway line from Venice to Milan so plenty of trains - just check on www.trenitalia.it for trains from Santa Lucia station in Venice to either of these places. There is a good ferry service round the lake - www.navigazionelaghi.it for routes and timings.

Sirmione is a popular tourist destination at the southern end of the Lake but there are several others round Garda.

Personally I have also greatly enjoyed our visit to Lake Como where we stayed at Bellagio. This would mean taking a train from venice to Miland and then out to Como, so would be a considerably longer journey Again there is a good ferry service aroud thsi lake.