We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a 'central' area in Venice?

London, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
14 reviews
What is a 'central' area in Venice?

Hi there!

We are looking at accommodation in Venice for 3 nights in September, as per my other post.

We initially were looking at staying on the mainland because of price, but have recently changed our mind and now are looking to stay in Venice proper.

We were just wondering - what is considered a 'central' area in Venice? In other words - what area are the 'attractions' or 'must-sees' of Venice in? What area is best to stay in for sightseeing Venice?

Obviously we are on a budget - so suggestions even of areas close to sightseeing, or with easy/cheap transport to sightseeing - would be great too.

Names or websites of places would be wonderful if you have any suggestions. We are looking to spend less than 90 Euros per room, per night. The less the better.

As you can tell, we really have no idea about Venice! I hate to admit, that we didnt even know that it was an island until we started looking into our trip there haha! So if you could also advise us on what there is to see and do there, and what not to miss etc - this would also be helpful to us!

Thanks again for your time :-)

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
9,257 posts
921 reviews
1. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

hello Tegz:

A CENTRAL AREA IN Venice...( for me of course), is Piazza San Marco.

www.lonelyplanet.com/worldguide/italy/venice/

Good trip!!!

niagara falls.canada
Level Contributor
2,770 posts
1 review
2. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

Venice is small and compact. It does not matter much where you stay. You can walk to everything or take the waterbus. If you stay close to St.Marks square or Rialto bridge you will pay more. I think you are wise to stay in Venice and not the mainland. As this is your first trip to Venice, and you are coming a long distance you just may not get back. This way you will get to experience the real Venice.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,207 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

September is high season pricewise in Venice, you will struggle for that budget, especially as it is not far off and well reviewed places book Months in advance,

San Marco are would be regarded as central, you will get better value else where, no where is far, so do not worry about location, there are lots of sites, best to google Venice Italy Hotels,

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
1,331 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

The center of Venice is defenitely San Marco sq, so any hotel in the San Marco area or the west part of the Castelo area will be fine.

Venice is indeed very compact, but it may take longer than it seems to get from point A to point B. Reason for that is its maze-like narrow (and many extremely narrow, about 1.5 m wide!!!) alleys, streets, dead-ends, canals and bridges. Unless you are a resident or someone who have visited before, is guaranteed that you ll get lost numerous times (part of Venice's charm as a matter of fact).

Moreover going up and down all those bridges can be tiring, especially in the heat.

Vaporeti are very expensive ( 6.5 euros for a sigle fare) and most of them very slow as well, so you shouldnt rely on them as your main method of moving around town. Eg. from San Marco sq. if you know where you are going you can reach Rialto Bridge in about 10 min max, on foot. Whereas using the no. 1 vaporeto you will need at least 40 minutes!

London, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

Hello Everyone -

Thank you so kindly for all your advice so far :-)

We have also been looking at accommodation in the 'Cannaregio' area - as these seem to be a bit better priced. Is this area ok? I.e. is it easily accessible to the sights of Venice?

We have been looking into the following places, which vary in price and location:

- Hotel Rossi (Cannaregio)

- Hotel Santa Lucia (Cannaregio)

- Hotel Adua (Cannaregio)

- Hotel Basilea

- Hotel Dalla Mora

- Hotel San Maurizio

- Residenza Ca' San Marco (San Marco - but havent got rates back from them yet, so might be too much)

- Hotel Alla Campana (San Marco - but havent got rates back from them yet, so might be too much)

So if anyone knows of any places in San Marco which are as cheap as possible, or can offer any advice on the Cannaregio area, or can offer any advice on any of the above hotels - that would be great :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,207 posts
89 reviews
6. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

Firstly I would not worry to much about the location, San Marco is expensive, not just for Hotels but Restaurants etc,

You have quite a mixed selection, Cannaregio is ok, but the Hotels you mention there are in the Lista de Spagnia ares by the Station, its ok but a bit tacky as Station areas in most places, and the Hotels you mention there have not got good reviews,

S.Maurizo in San Marco is a good location,

Dalla Mora, is basic but a very good location in Santa Croce, if you can get that I would personally take it,

One of the Hotels you are awaiting a price for is not in Venice but on the mainland,not

Residenza San Marco, the other one,

London, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

Hi!

Thanks for that :-)

Unfortunately Dalla Mora have gotten back to us to say that they have no availability :-(

Any other suggestions of places we can look into? :-)

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,207 posts
89 reviews
8. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

I feel you would do best to look at the Venere site, it can tell you what is avalable, everything is priced so you know if it fits your budget, you can check Ta for reviews, I will stress location is not an issue,

www.venere.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
375 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

Ok - I have it down to the following:

1) Hotel Rossi

- Cannaregio area

- 77 Euros per night

- Double Room with shared bathroom

OR

2) Hotel (NB: NOT Residenza) San Maurizio

- San Marco area

- 89 Euros per night

- Double Room with shared bathroom

Any thoughts, opinions etc - on the hotels, locations, difference in price etc.

Cheers!

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
50,207 posts
89 reviews
10. Re: What is a 'central' area in Venice?

Seems the Hotel and Residenzia are the same,

I think I would co for that,