We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

I know, I know--we're nuts, but so be it! We'll be in Rome for 6 days, then FLO and Tuscany for 2+ weeks. We're 6 in a family of siblings, cousins and kids, and I've been out-voted--they want to take a train to Venice from FLO, so we're doing so in 2 weeks. We'll be having a private tour w/a wonderful tour guide in FLO who's an art history prof. and comes highly recommended by a good friend, whose teen age kids also loved the tours, and visiting the Uffizi, and also so much "must do" cultural stuff in Rome, so thought we'd take a break and just try to soak in the atmosphere of Venice.

I know--worst time of year/weather/throngs of touristas (like us), but we'll just go w/the flow...

I've narrowed down WHAT I THINK WE CAN DO, based on every posting in the Venice Forum, but I could be totally off base, so I'm going to write it down here, and hope that some kind, but knowledgeable and experienced TA member, will give me feedback, suggest the best order of things to see in the itinerary, and I thank everyone in advance!

Arrive at San Lucia train station.

Go to the vaporetto and take it to the Grand Canal.

Where to get off?

-Then hit Piazzo di San Marco,

-Rialto Bridge

-Dorsoduro and Cannaregio neighborhoods to get some sort of break from the masses

-Go to the top of the Camponile to look over the tile roofs from S. Giorgio Maggiore (a via?)

-Try to make the Mercati di Rialto before iti closes at noon, Have the "best" gelati at the market across from the Rialto Bridge

-Visit the Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

(hope it won't be too crowded),

and munch on chichet- (sp?) in the Rialto area at Do mori on the Calle del Mori, and perhaps not sit down to lunch because of time?

-If we do have a sit-down lunch, try Al Paradiso (located?), or the Osteria alle Botteghe on the Calle alle Botteghe just off Campo San Stefano. Near the "Main drag", but recommended as small & welcoming.

We have to get the last train @ 7 or 8:30 (I can't remember.)

Am I nuts--or is this do-able? If so, in what order, given we're coming and going by train from San Lucia.

Barbara

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,534 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

It can all be done except perhaps for the lunch. The station is at the Grand Canal. As soon as you get off the train walk straight ahead and there it is. One of the best arivals in Europe. Catch the No.1 Vaporetto to the Rialto stop ( at the Rialto Bridge). Cross the bridge for the Markets.

Re trace your steps and follow the signs on the walls (or ask) to San Marco. Visit Doges Palace, Campinale etc. Have lunch in this area. Follow the signs to Accademia. You are now in Dorsoduro. I think you should still have plenty of time to walk to Frari as you want to see as much as of Venice as you can. After Frari catch vaporetto at San Toma for station. You could have dinner in that area otherwise there are many small cafes near the Frari.

Anyway wait for the experts to come on line in abourt 8 hours as I am sure they will correct my itinerary and offer more recent advice.

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Lord Byron,

By George, I might've got it--partially right, at least! Thanks for your initial head's up--will wait to hear what the other experts have to say.

Very much appreciate your response.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,667 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

It can be done,, but I would not advise it, much to much for a day, too much to be enjoyable, although Venice is small you are covering a lot of ground, jostleing with a lot of people especially in the San Marco area,queuing for the Number 2 Vaporetto for the Campanile, visit either Dorsoduro or Cannaregio, why both, even those for the most part can be crowded,

The Friari is worth a visit, and the area is comparatively quiet, could be your area to get away from the masses,

Do Mori is a worthwhile experiance, ( there are a few seats) a few of their cichetti will surfice, I can not see you will have time for a sit down meal,

You say you are going to do the Grand Canal on a Vaporetto, it would be worth while you getting a 12 hour pass for €14, the Grand Canal trip and the Vaporetto to San Giorgio would pay for it, and I think the Vaporetto could come in quite useful all round,

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Sophie,

Thanks so much for your input. Of course, it makes no sense to do Venice in 1 day, but w/1 of our party's travel schedule, it's all we have, so we'll have to make the best of it.

If we were to choose between Dorsoduro or Cannaregio neighborhoods, which one would you suggest, or is it 6 one way/1/2 dozen the other?

Where can we purchase the 12 hr. passes?

I've been to Venice several times, but the last time was about 20+ years ago, so bear with me--you mention the #2 vaporetto to San Giorgia--is that San Giorgia Maggiore, where we go to the top of the Camponile?

Again--thanks. Barbara

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,667 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Probably I would say Dorsoduro, but both have there charms, you can get a Vaporetto pass at any of the bigger Vaporetto stops, and I was refering to the Campanile of San Giogio Maggiore, sorry I did not explain well, and hope it all goes OK

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Sophie,

Thanks so much--you don't know how incredibly helpful it is to get such invaluable advice from you and others on TA. I'm overwhelmed w/getting info. for Rome, FLO and Tuscany, and have done for months, because we have a 3 weeks trip, and to get our Venezia itinerary done so quickly is a blessing!

ciao, barbara

Venice, Italy
Level Contributor
68 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Yes, you’re right, Venice in only one day is a real challenge! Nonetheless I think one more itinerary (added to the excellent ones previously suggested) can be outlined. Just have a look.

1) First of all, buy at Ferrovia vaporetto stop (you can see it on your left from the train station) six 12 hour passes, take Linea 1, enjoy the Grand Canal and get off at San Marco.

2) Go to Ateneo San Basso (for the ubication look http://www.alata.it/sanbasso/ita/COMEARRIVARE.ASP) and store there your bags for free (well, a little tip will surely be appreciated). You will be given a pass, which allows you direct entrance into the Basilica di San Marco, avoiding all the queue outside (just show it to the guards). After you visited the Piazza, go through the Torre dell’orologio and follow the directions for Rialto. [I would not suggest a tour of Palazzo Ducale, as it would be hasty and very tiring, considering the rest of the itinerary].

3) Just wander around the Mercato as long as you want and have lunch at Cantina do Mori, as you said.

4) After this, go towards the Frari using a city map, have a quick look at campo san Polo (there is a fountain, in case you need it), and visit the (cool, shadowy, almost relaxing) Frari Basilica.

5) Now walk towards the sestriere of Dorsoduro, passing campo san Pantalon, campo santa Margherita, campo san Barnaba, campo san Trovaso and arriving at the Zattere vaporetto stop. Opposing this stop, at number 922 you will find Gelateria da Nico, one of the most famous in Venice (rightly, in my humble opinion!). Gianduia flavour is their speciality. Relax.

6) Take Linea 82 from Zattere vaporetto stop and get off at san Giorgio Maggiore, visit the Basilica and enjoy the panorama from the top of the campanile (in any case, I think it closes at 17.30).

7) From san Giorgio Maggiore take Linea 82, get off at san Basilio stop, walk along Fondamenta Zattere al Ponte Longo, until you reach the (now well-known) Zattere stop. From there on explore the horn-shaped area of Dorsoduro virtually created by the Zattere stop and Ponte dell’Accademia (have a look at the map, here http://maps.google.it/maps/ms? + ie=UTF8&hl=it&t=h&msa=0&msid= + 105570956885382844204.0004531b8af550d992a87&ll= + 45.440637,12.322369&spn=0.007016,0.013282&z=16), have dinner wherever you want (search in this gold-mine-like forum) and end the walk at Santa Maria della Salute, one of the most beautiful areas of all the sestriere. Say goodbye to San Marco, take Linea 1 from Salute stop to Ferrovia stop and go back to Firenze.

At the end your will be nearly dead… I’m sincere. But happy ;)

I don’t know if everything is clear, I hope the links will work correctly, and please pardon my English grammar mistakes.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,780 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Holy Moly, and I thought I overplanned!

Bethesda, MD
Level Contributor
162 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Francesco--you are a gem--thank you so much! Aussie Girl--this isn't overplanning, it's just making the most of a very tight timeframe. I thank you so much for streamlining our plans and it sounds like a perfect itinerary for a short amount of time and 6 people who really are excited about at least getting a flavor of Venice. It's crazy and silly and probably way too much, but I'm excited, and look forward to seeing as much as we can and just soaking it all in, and your itinerary sounds just right.

Thanks so much again, Barbara

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
49,667 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Please! 1 day (am I nuts?) itinerary--what order???

Francesco-3

Just to get it right the 82 Vaporetto has been the line 2 for quite a long time now,