We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

houstonls
Level Contributor
128 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

I have a limited time in Venice and would like to know which churches are the favorites to visit!

Thanks,

Lisa

Mentioned in this post
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Charlottetown, PEI...
Level Contributor
532 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

We really enjoyed the Chiesa dei Frari (Frari Church). Wonderful art inside.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
429 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

What is a "favorite" is a matter of taste, of course. The most important church in Venice, by far, is St. Marks, and it is real must-see in spite of crowds, lines, et al. Personally, I think the prettiest church in Venice is Santa Maria dei Miracoli, a little jewel-box that takes a bit of finding [a pleasant walk to Campo dei Miracoli].

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria dei Miracoli
Santa Maria dei Miracoli
697 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
48,456 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

I feel the most impressive Church is the Friari,but for the ceiling painting my favorite is San Pantalon,

Mentioned in this post
San Pantalon
San Pantalon
407 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Spain
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear, New Brunswick, Almeria
Level Contributor
7,336 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

I love the stonework of Santa Maria dei Miracoli.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Maria dei Miracoli
Santa Maria dei Miracoli
697 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,522 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

Miracoli , St Alvise, San Simeon grande, Madonna delle grazie , Madonna del Orto to name a few...Some for sentimental reasons others for the atmosphere and maybe the art !

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,954 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

Lots of lovely churches to visit in Venice - almost too many to choose favourites. The big one is obviously San Marco with its great richness of architecture and mosaics.

Amongst many others I enjoy revisiting I rate San Sebastiano in Dorsoduro highly for the Veronese works, particularly in the sacristy;

Madonna dell' Orto in Cannaregio I think both both a fine example of Gothic architecture and some wonderful paintings, despite the loss by theft of a beautiful small Maddonna by Giovanni Bellini, which enrich its beauty.

Santa Maria e donato in Murano I love for its Veneto-Byzantine architecture and its fascinating 1140 AD mosaic floor.

Santa Maria Assunta in Tocello isa great church which I find endlessly fascinating for many reasons. Founded in 638 AD and altered several times but still retaining a range of fine mosaics ranging from the end of the 8th century through to the 12/13th century

San Francesco della Vigna in Castello is one frequently overlooked by visitors but with a lot to offer, from its Palladian facade to its fine sculptures in the Giustinian Chapel and a lot of good art - Veronese, Giovanni Bellini, Tiepolo etc.

Limited time is a great handicap. The cburches of Venice demand respect and a lot of time to appreciate them.

Mentioned in this post
Cannaregio
Cannaregio
3,821 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro
2,039 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy
Veneto
Veneto
Italy
Folsom, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
120 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

I have to say San Polo because my parents were married there.

Mentioned in this post
San Polo
San Polo
173 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Padua, Italy
Destination Expert
for Padua
Level Contributor
1,111 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

I don't have a favourite church but I really loved S.Alvise Church in northern Cannareggio.

It's quite far from the usual touristic crowds and it's the only I've seen with a iron grate for the cloister nuns that used to stay and pray in the adjacent convent...

chorusvenezia.org/museo/…alvise6.jpg

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
346 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

San Marco is breathtaking, I also loved San Zaccaria just east of San Marco for the artwork, Santa Maria della Salute for the architecture, and San Giorgio Maggiore on the island opposite San Marco for the architecture, view of the city, and peace and quiet.

Mentioned in this post
San Giorgio Maggiore
San Giorgio Maggiore
3,326 Reviews
Venice, Italy
prince william co...
Level Contributor
518 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Poll: What is your favorite church in Venice?

I agree with Sophie about the ceiling painting in San Pantalon. It's one of the most impressive single works of art I saw in Venice -and that's saying a lot. I also liked San Nicolo dei Mendicoli. This is the church which figures large in the movie "Don't Look Now". San Stae is also in the movie and I liked it's setting on the Grand Canal.

Mentioned in this post
San Pantalon
San Pantalon
407 Reviews
Venice, Italy
Venice
Venice
City of Venice, Italy