We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need transportation advice

san diego
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need transportation advice

RobertJ or anyone, could you please help me. We are arriving by train from florence to venice on Oct. 9 and need to get to the port S. Basilo. Could you please suggest what our transportation options might be? I am very thankfull for all the advice these boards provide.

Thank you.

Jane

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,611 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need transportation advice

I assume you are travelling by train from Florence to Venice. The journey takes about 2 hours and 50 minutes or so.

When you arrive at Venice at Santa Lucia station you will find a vaporetto landing stage. or to be accurate several landing stages, called Ferrovia, immediately outside the front of the station. A vaporetto travelling to your right will take you round to S. Basilio landing stage. Details of the stops are given for each vaporetto line on the relevant anding stage.

www.actv.it will give you details of the various vaporetto lines and their timetables.

Your other alternative is to take a private water taxi from Ferrovia round to S. Basilio - probably slightly quicker, certainly a great deal more expensive.

NC_USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need transportation advice

I was wondering which, if any of the water boats goes into the inner canals-just for seeing some of inner (or outer) Venice Proper.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,611 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need transportation advice

wrbatts Both the 41/42 and 51/52 vaporetto lines go down the Canale di Cannaregio and you can see a good deal of work-a-day Venice along this canal. Not a particularly touristy area. The 41/42 also runs in Murano along Canale S. Giovanni, Canale Ponte Longa , Canale degli Angeli and Canale Serenella

The vaporetto lines running along Rio Nuovo and through Arsenale were removed some years ago.