We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help pls about Money matters in Venice

nowhere
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
Help pls about Money matters in Venice

Queries:

1. Is it safe to carry hard cash in Venice?

2.Or should I take Travellers cheques ?

3. Is it a good idea rather to take out money from the ATM?

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,385 posts
125 reviews
1. Re: Help pls about Money matters in Venice

Venice city is a very safe place. I have never had a problem carrying cash around with me.

Traveller's cheques I have not bothered with for many years. I tell my credit card company that I am going abroad so they know to expect foreign transactions and iIuse my card in restaurants and at ATMs with no trouble. Just make sure that for the ATMs you have a four figure PIN number.

nowhere
Level Contributor
55 posts
1 review
2. Re: Help pls about Money matters in Venice

Thanks, I do, I am from Europe.

So may be I will just take hard Euroes? What say?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
3. Re: Help pls about Money matters in Venice

We were in Venice in late May. To answer your questions:

1. Very safe - never had a problem or saw anyone else having a problem.

2. We had learned that our hotel would give us a 10 Euro per night discount if we paid in cash (I presumed Euros) or Travelers Checks. We opted for the Traveler Checks which we purchased (in Euro's) at AAA. Never needed travelers checks for anything else. If I had to do it again, I probably would have just gotten the euro's from the ATM machines in Venice.

3. ATM's in Venice are all over the place. Very handy. Easy to use. No problem. Very convenient was the Bancomat ATM

machine at the Marco Polo Airport. You can get your initial money right there when you first arrive.

Have a wonderful trip - and I loved the idea of visiting each of the districts, a day at a time. Sounds like a great idea; wish we had thought of it. Problem is that there will probably be so many sights you want to see in one area, that to see it all, you may run into your next day's itinerary.

Enjoy Venice. It is a fairyland. Have fun.