We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A MUST in Venice?

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
A MUST in Venice?

My partner and I will be in Venice for just 2 nights in August!

Is there anything I really shouldn't miss?

We are staying at the Lanterna Di Marco Polo, I think I read somewhere on here that I should take the no. 82 water taxi?

If anyone has stayed in Lanterna recently I would love to hear what you thought of it, I have read some great reviews about it here and on Venere!

Cant wait to see Venice!!!!!!

Ottawa
1 post
Save Reply
21. Re: A MUST in Venice?

You are going in August. It is going to be HOT! We were there in August 2001, it was 37C every day. One of the Vaporetto stops is at the Lido, where there is a wonderful beach. Coolest spot in the area with a nice breeze off the Adriatic. At least when we were there.....we didn't stay long, just an hour or so, but it was worth it. Mind you, we had 4 days, not 2. For anyone with a little more time, definitely worth one afternoon.

They have cabanas on the beach, we did not check that out.

Carol

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
837 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: A MUST in Venice?

Thanks everyone. Ive got some really good advice from here!

I like the idea of getting up really early and wandering around before everyone else gets up! Its only 6 days til I go, Im so excited!!!!! We will be in Italy for 3 weeks altogetherI cant wait to get there!

Can anyone recommend any good restuarants?

Thanks

Pauline

Leeds
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: A MUST in Venice?

I truly believe the best way to see Venice is to set out from your hotel without a map and get thoroughly lost. It is just fantastic - one of the highlights of a previous trip was ending up in a Campo in the Ghetto area on Friday evening. As we sat having cappucinos outside a small cafe my husband and I could hear the rabbis singing evening prayers in Hebrew in upper rooms all around the square. It was profoundly beautiful and moving, it cost very little for the coffees and there wasn't another tourist in sight.

Also, we are visiting as we do every other year for the Biennale - a massive modern art exhibition in the Giardini Pubblici and at Arsenale. It is always a challenging and exciting experience.