We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leather shop in Venice?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Leather shop in Venice?

I know that Venice is not known as a great place to buy leather like Florence, but unfortunately I will not be able to make it to Florence this trip... Can anyone recommend a good leather shop? I am looking for purses and wallets in particular. My guidebook mentions a place called Marforio by Rialto Bridge, is that place any good? I don't know if I trust their judgment! It doesn't have to be the most fabulous leather in the world, just good quality that will hold up. Basically I need a new purse and my husband needs a new wallet anyway, so rather than buy them in the states we thought we'd try to buy them in Venice and take home some practical souvenirs! Thanks!

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,506 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

Mazzon - Le Borse does a great range of leather handbags etc. Campiello San Toma, San Polo 2807

Il Grifone, Fondamenta del Gaffaro, Dorsoduro 3516 makes awide range of bags, briefcases, purses etc. in leather. A bit tucked away in a not very touristy part of Venice near S. Nicolo da Tolentino

But you are quite right - the lace fro leather goods is florence if you ever get there. the Leather School in the closters of Santa Croce has an incredible display of allsorts of leather items. My wife picked up a very useful little purse on our last visit.

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

I don't want to be a spoil sport..but, any handbag or wallet in Venice will cost you more than a better quality one you can find at your local department store in the US. Buying expensive things in Italy is very difficult for people using dollars as a base.

One euro is about $ 1.55 today.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

You're not a spoil sport, I already realize the terrible exchange rate and that this is not cost effective... But I know myself pretty well and know I WILL blow money on something overpriced to bring home anyway, so figured may as well make it something I can use on a daily basis :)

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

Another quick question... We are going to Verona as well, do you know if I would have better luck there? I have not been to Verona before, but from what I've heard the shopping there is of the high-end variety. Not sure if they have lower priced shops there as well...

Ravenna, Italy
Level Contributor
9,377 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

Verona is a beautiful town. They have all sorts of shops. It is an easy place to walk around.

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,053 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

Marforio closed down ( sadly )and Max Mara is there now !

Furla have a nice selection of leather goods. Carpisa ( a bit more economical ) also the Coin .

Watch out for the imitation shops .....

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
181 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

Rosa503,

I think I've seen Carpisa in Naples or Rome, I can't remember which, but they have cute stuff. Where is the store in Venice located?

Thanks!

Venice
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
9,053 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

Carpisa is in teh merceria - Nearer the rialto end just past Bata on the right.

MD
Level Contributor
292 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

This is a shop that I like better than others: Giudi Shop, www.giudi.com at 30100 Venezia, Cannaregio 2064-2081. I bought a purse that I am very pleased with. Happy shoppping.

Honolulu, Hawaii
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Leather shop in Venice?

I just got back from Venice today. Il Grifone has amazing quality leather. It is a little hard to find, but definitely worth going there! Marforio has closed and there is a Max Mara in its place. I wanted to buy a leather bag from Mazzon but they litterally refused to serve me. It is a shop were they make bags and their only display of in stock merchandise is the window. The owners (husband and wife)told me to go back outside and look in the window for something I liked and when I went back inside they totally ignored me. And I even speak a little Italian. I was the only customer they had and a few other tourists who stepped inside right after me walked out almost just as fast because the owners were not interested in serving tourists. They were beyond rude, considering I was not an agressive tourist who stormed through and was going out of my way to be super-kind and speak their language.