We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just got back, comments on food, gondola's water taxi's

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
just got back, comments on food, gondola's water taxi's

We stayed in Venice from May 28th through June 1st. It was wonderful.

We found a delicious little restaurant called Trattoria Da Fiore, Santo Stefano 3461, San Marco. We were four adults and two children and we all loved the food. It was our favorite restaurant in Venice.

Stopped in a little place for lunch (wish I had the name) in San Marco and my children had a slice of pizza each. Well, when the bill came, the slices were 10 euro's each!!! We couldn't believe it!! This place did not have the pizza price posted, We learned that most of the other places had the prices for pizza posted and they were all 6 euros and under!! Make sure you look at the menu or signs first!

Since we stayed at the Westin in Lido (which we loved) we also went to the Fodor���s suggested restaurant Al Vecio Cantier on Lido. I am sorry to say that we were very disappointed! The owner was such a wonderful man, but the food wasn���t very good. Unfortunately, we would not recommend this restaurant.

As for the Gondola���s: The cost should be 80 euro in the evening according to the set standard but because we were six people they insisted on charging us 100 euro for a 30 to 45 minute ride. Well, because our trip was only 20 minutes they refunded us 20 euro after we said it was not the amount of time promised.

We found a wonderful water taxi driver, Maurizio Gianni. for a tour of the Grand Canal, For the six of us, he gave a wonderful tour on a beautiful clean boat for an hour and a half for 90 euro. We really loved him and his brother Fabio. We got their card and used them to bring us back to the airport for 100 euro ���a huge savings from the hotel price of 180 euro. If you need his number it's 39 347 7191425.

Hope I helped someone---this was a fabulous site for me while I was planning my trip! It really gave me a lot of useful information!

City Wonders
Sightseeing Tours, Gondola Cruises, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Tour Leader Venice
Gondola Cruises, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
613 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just got back, comments on food, gondola's water taxi's

Linfer- You didn't mentioned a price range at the Tratorria Da Fiore. Sounds like you had a grand time!

Lyn Clarke

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,657 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: just got back, comments on food, gondola's water taxi's

Remember there are two Da Fiore restaurants in Venice - the one you have enjoyed in San Stefano and the Da Fiore at Calle del Scaleter, 2202 San Polo. This latter is the Michelin starred restaurant in Venice, exceedingly fine cooking but exceedingly expensive so take care you go to the one you intend to and not the other by mischance.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just got back, comments on food, gondola's water taxi's

Lynclark, I think that it was moderately priced. Robert J is right--I was in the one in San Stefano--it was delicious! I wish I was there again! Yes, we had a great time!