We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels..... <------left with too many options

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Hotels..... <------left with too many options

Hello,

do you know anything about:

Nh Laguna Palace

Hotel Panorama

or the

Carlton and Grand Canal Hotel?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Hopeful

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
99,825 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels..... <------left with too many options

Do you not realize this website is fabulous for hotel reviews? They have all the hotels you're asking about. Put the names (one at a time) in the search box on the upper left.

You have 3 hotels in 3 totally different places. Laguna Palace is in Mestre which is a suburb of Venice. It's on the mainland. It's a new hotel that's evidently very nice but in a terrible rundown area (in the process of being upgraded but that doesn't help you NOW). This hotel is evidently good for business, a convention or possibly a night before an early morning flight. But it's AWFUL if you're going to see Venice.

The Panorama is on the Lido (island) which is the beach for Venice. If you stay here, you need to take a boat every time you want to go to Venice proper. This can be nice in the summer, especially with children. But for a romantic trip for 2 to Venice, also not where you want to be.

The Carlton & Grand is the only one in Venice proper. It gets mixed reviews here and someone mentioned they're in renovation in Oct. (last month)

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d228961…

If you write what you're looking for, maybe I can help.

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels..... <------left with too many options

Whatever you do, don't stay in mestre. It is about the least romantic place I can think of in the area of Venice. The lido is nice but inconvenient. Venice is divided into 6 neighborhoods:(sestieri) I will rank them in the order in which I would personally like to find a hotel. 1- Dorsoduro, 2-Castello or Cannaregio, 3-Santa Croce or San Polo, 4- San Marco. I put San marco last only because I think the prices are inflated and the restaurants not so good. I have stayed in the Hotel Galleria (in Dorsoduro) and I liked it very much. I usually stay in convents to save money but that doesn't sound right for you. Check out www.hotelgalleria.it and see what you think. I know that the owners used to work at the fanciest hotel in Venice, the Cipriani and they bring a nice touch of service to this basic but nice hotel. You could also try Hotel agli Alboretti (also in Dorsoduro). Some friends of mine stayed there and liked it. www.aglialboretti.com, I know it's more $ than the galleria. I know that if you book soon, you could ask for a grand canal view at the galleria.

Since you said you've never traveled outside of North America I should warn you. Hotels in Italy tend to be very simple. To find the ammenities offered at a typical American hotel in Venice, you would have to spend a bloody fortune. Don't stress too much about the room. Venice itself will have all the romance you could ever hope for. Just choose a good locatioin at a price your comfortable with and then have a ball. I think the midnight proposal in a gondola on New Years Eve is a fabulous time to propose.

I'm the person who suggested the restaurant 'il gatto nero' on Burano and for the life of me, I can't find their phone number. I will try to get it for you in time for your trip. It really is amazing and most tourists have no idea it exists. I will find their phone number, the last time I was there, they gave me a little ceramic wine pitcher and it has their phone number on it. I'm moving and my stuff is packed but I'll come across it soon enough.

Ann Arbor, MI
Level Contributor
68 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels..... <------left with too many options

I just found a business card with info on the restaurant in Burano calle il gatto nero. The wine pitcher they gave me says 'il gatto nero' but this business card has the following info:

Trattoria al gatto nero

Via Giudecca, 88

Burano

041-730-120

by the way, congratulations on your very romantic plans. My younger sister just accepted a marriage proposal and she told me that he proposed to her in his boxer shorts in a motel in Kentucky. I thought about your posts when she told me this and thought that maybe she should have held out for something a bit more romantic...

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels..... <------left with too many options

Well, I appreciate that.

Some say romance is dead. I think it is up to those who want something to make it come about themselves.

Thank you, it makes me feel more confident. Wow. This is going to feel like the last time I bungie jumped for sure...hope there is a good cord to pull me back after I take the leap.

Hopeful