We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do you go through customs?

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Where do you go through customs?

Am arriving in Venice on Sept 30th. Leaving from Washington Dulles Airport with a layover/plane change in Frankfurt, Germany.

Will I be required to go through customs in Germany or not until Venice as this is my final destination? Also does anyone know on average how long it takes to get through customs in Venice? Am trying to figure out how early I can book train from Venice to Rome with a 9:30AM Venice airport arrival. Thanks in advance for any info.

Schaumburg, Illinois
Level Contributor
197 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where do you go through customs?

I hope this answer is correct. I am flying Aer Lingus Chicago-Dublin-Venice. I questioned the airlines about checking my bags all the way through and they said that would be done. I questioned that I thought you had to get bags and go through customs and recheck bag the first place you landed. I was told no, not going to Europe but coming back to the US that is the case.

california
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where do you go through customs?

Thank you for your help. I am flying United to Frankfurt and then Lufthanse to Venice. I am assuming my bags will be checked through to Venice as the layover in Frankfurt is only an hour.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,824 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where do you go through customs?

I also have to take a train from the Venice,Mestre station but to Bologna. I have decided not to book in advance because there is no way to know what time the plane will actually arrive. Planes are notoriously unreliable as to their schedules. I have been told that booking at the station is not difficult

Clifton, NJ
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where do you go through customs?

alliemd,

I hope you have better luck than I did with that combo. I flew out of JFK (New York). I booked with United but got Lufthansa. We were late departing (the plane was on the ground but there were no gates), we arrived in Munich JUST in time to catch another Lufthansa flight to Venice. On the return flight (through Frankfurt) we were delayed awaiting the arrival of our plane in Venice. We arrived in Frankfurt, just in time to be rushed through the airport by aiport security only to literally watch our plane back away from the gate. We had to spend a horrible evening in a Frankurt Airport Hotel and get up at the crack of dawn to catch the first flight out.

BTW: We were switched to Continental and all I can say is "Thank God". The plane was roomier and the in flight entertainment was immensly better than on the non-existent entertainment on the Lufthansa flights. I will never fly United or Lufthansa again. I will also do my best to avoid Frankfurt at all costs. What a nightmare.

Level Contributor
260 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where do you go through customs?

In March we flew from PHL and went through customs in Germany. We did not go through customs in Venice. Once you enter the European Union you only go through customs once. In Venice we walked off the plane, picked up our bags and walked outside to the water taxi dock.

I don't think you will have any trouble getting a train this time of year.

You might want to print out the train schedule before you leave from the trenitalia web site. Have a great time.

Seal Beach...
Level Contributor
2,505 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where do you go through customs?

JimKC is absolutely correct. However to clarify, you will not go through "customs" as you arrive in the EU, in your case the layover in Frankfurt. Rather you will go through Passport Control and then through security once again before boarding the final plane. As long as you booked your entire itinerary through one carrier (noting that they often partner with other sister airlines to cover certain parts of your trip, as described by others above) then your BAGS will indeed be checked all the way through to Venice with no need to pick up until you reach Venice. You will then walk right out of the airport since you were already checked into the EU in Germany.

FYI, you WILL go through customs in the US in the FIRST city that you arrive in. You will there have to grab your bags, get your passport and bags checked at that first destination (could be your last if your only US airport is your final destination location). If though you are laying over in a US airport on your way to your final destination, then you will hand your luggage back after you've cleared customs and passport control. The procedure is easy, if annoying, and they will shove you from place to place with pretty clear directions, so don't worry about it.

As to trains, well you will need to get from Marco Polo airport (where I assume you're landing) to the train station first. Since you are leaving right away for Rome, then I suggest you get to Venice Mestre station, which is on the mainland instead of the Venice island train station. You can do this by bus(cheapest - about 35 mins) or taxi (not too expensive, especially if you're splitting with more than 2 people, same amount of time.) Then hop the train from there.

You can easily buy tickets on arrival. Trains to Rome leave nearly hourly, to my recollections. If you MUST have tickets in hand to be happy, then I wouldn't get one that departed before 11am, just to allow for delays of plane arrival or traffic.

Schedules and purchase is made on Trenitalia website: www.trenitalia.com

Ciao!LL

california
Level Contributor
3 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where do you go through customs?

Thanks to all for your input. I did figure out the train by doing as everyone said and going through Mestre station. There is an AVTO bus that leaves directly from Marco Polo and goes straight to Mestre almost every half hour. So if we arrive in Venice at 9:30AM and our train leaves at 12:40PM I think that will give us plenty of time. It was really very helpful to find out that there were two train stations in Venice and their proximity to the airport. Hopefully we'll be able to get through the passport check in time to make our flight from Frankfurt to Venice. Again much thanks to everyone for your insights and suggestions.

Alliemd

8. Re: Where do you go through customs?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:24 am, September 10, 2009