We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One Day and nite in Venice

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
One Day and nite in Venice

Hi there are 5 of us that will have a car and we will be driving from Rome to Venice and staying the night....is it worth taking a tour? or just doing it on our own? I appreciate any suggestions...Thanks

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,467 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One Day and nite in Venice

One day and one night in Venice!!! Words fail me, this is one of the very greatest cities in the world for art and architecture and quite possibly the most beautiful in the world. Oh well, if that is all you can spare in your busy lives then I hardly think it matters whether you take an organised tour or not - at the very best all you can hope to do is skim the surface of a very limited numbers of sights.

Certainly have a look at Piazza S. Marco and the Basilica and Palazzo Ducale (Doge's palace). Ride a vaporetto ferry the length of the Grand Canal. Perhaps cross the Grand Canal to S. Maria d. Salute and see its fine paintings Tintoretto, Titian, Palma il Giovane etc. - walk through Dorsoduro area past (and perhaps even into) the Peggy Guggenheim Musuem of Modern Art along to the Accademia Gallery with its major collection of Venetian paintings.

If you have time get off the vaporeto as it passes down the Grand Canal at S. Toma and walk through to the Frari church with its great collection of sculpture and paintings -Titian, Bellini etc. and round the corner to the Scuola Grande di San Rocco with its wondeful collection of Tintoretto paintings commissioned in 1564.

There are over 100 churches in venic, most of architectural merit and a great many with fine paintings in the place where the artist intended them to be seen. Hoever you will almost certainly not have time to appreciate them.

San Diego
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One Day and nite in Venice

Thanks for the feedback....I know 1 day and 1 nite is a short amount of time....but we are determined to travel all thru Italy...Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany, and Amalfi coast...all in three weeks time....with Rome being our home base....If I could I would spend a month in each place but I can't.....do you have any suggestions for small interesting stop off towns on our way from Roma to Venice??