We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bauer Hotel or San CLemente Palace

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NEW YORK
Level Contributor
41 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bauer Hotel or San CLemente Palace

I am visiting Rome in August for 2 nights. I am so confused if I should stay in the Bauer Hotel which is right in the San Marco Area or stay across the water at the San Clemente Palace. I picked this hotel because it has a pool and traveling in August will be very hot. Is it better to be right in the San Marco Area or is it not such a big deal. Please help.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,464 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bauer Hotel or San CLemente Palace

I assume you mean Venice in August - yes the weather is likely to be warm and humid whilst the streets will be crowded and the Hotels full at the height of the tourist season. Whether it is any hotter than New York, probably not. What is important is has your room got air-conditioning where you, and not the hotel management, control the temperature? Most hotels of 3star and up do have such air-conditioning and I would assume expensive places such as the Bauer and the San Clemente Palace wll have.

Venice is not large and where you stay on the main part of Venice is not terribly important. You can comfortably walk across Venice in an hour or so, unless you stop and wonder on the way. The Bauer, one of the more expensive Venetian Hotels, is certainly close to San Marco and therefore particularly well placed.

The San Clement Palace is a new hotel, opened in 2002 on the small island of Isola di San Clement to the south of Venice. It has previously been many things, a lunatic asylum, a home for abandoned cats. I have not visited it so have no knowledge of pools etc. I believe the hotel operates a complementary shuttle boat across the lagoon to the S. Marco area

The only one of the 5 star super luxury Hotels I and my wife have used is the Gritti Palace which was certainly very good, very luxurious and with a great view across the Grand Canal to the floodlit Santa Maria della Salute in the evening from the dining room but also very expensive.

So difficult to comment on the relative merits of the two you are interested in except to say that for my part I do not think I would be happy having to rely on the Hotel shuttle boat. I would always prefer to walk out of my Hotel into the street in Venice.