We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports!!!!!!!!!

Which Venice hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
clarksville,tn.
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Passports!!!!!!!!!

I read the other day that Italian hotels keep your passports for awhile. How long do i need to expect to be without me and my wife's passports?

Kent UK
Level Contributor
174 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports!!!!!!!!!

Usually only overnight.

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
18,415 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports!!!!!!!!!

I have never found it a great problem. Some Hotels hand it back to you within the hour, some keep it overnight. However my wife and I always have a photocopy of the important pages of our passports which is what we carry around with us. Our proper passports we keep in the safe in our room or in the Hotel safe.

The photocopies are always acceptable at Museums, railway stations etc. for concession rates and we have never been stopped by the carbinieri or any other of the police forces and asked for ID in all the great many years we have been in Italy, or indeed anywhere else on the continent of Europe.

Okmulgee, OK
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports!!!!!!!!!

Most hotels in Europe do this. My understanding is you are required to register with local authorities and the hotels accommodate you by doing it for you. Some hotels almost hand them back to you after recording the info they need to give to local authorities; never was without it more than overnight.

Mauritius
Level Contributor
100 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports!!!!!!!!!

never experienced this...just came back from germany, italy and austria...they just recorded the details and handed them back to us

Austin
Level Contributor
21 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports!!!!!!!!!

We were in Italy from June 18-30, 2005. One hotel made a copy of it and handed it back. Another kept it for 10 mins and another for 1 hr. It depends really and how busy they are and the place.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Passports!!!!!!!!!

I usually tell the clerk that I'll need it to cash travelers checks, and I usually get it back by the time I get settled in the room and go back to the lobby.

I did get stopped (walking) by the Carbineri in Verona, in early October 2001, shortly after the Sept 11 attacks. I had checked in late and left the hotel without retreiving my passport, and I was very nearly arrested because I couldn't communicate - I finally managed to prove that I am a tourist from New Orleans, with my driver's license - luckily 'the whole world' knows the word "jazz" - we all had a big laugh.

That's my passport story. And that's the ONLY time I've needed my passport besides entering or leaving a country.

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passports!!!!!!!!!

It took about one hour last month in Venice.